Hitting a Wall with Bumper Selection (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm hitting a wall in trying to find a bumper for my 1999 LX. It all seems like a strange nightmare that the most popular year and model for the 100 series has the least options. Long waits. Nothing in stock. Fitment issues. Irreversible cutting. I get responses from owners like "I don't really like what I'm running but I'm making due until I can get rid of it.:

Price Range $1,300 to $2,000.

The whole bumper unavailability issue is basically dashing my plans to go to some off-road events that I planned for Sept.-Oct. and the whole reason I the vehicle in the first place. So I've given up on going being able to enjoy the LX for this year.

I like the looks of these bumpers. I do like the full size bull bars from hitting a deer a few years back. The time of year when I plan to use the truck most is when the deer are out.
Ironman4x4 BBCD006 -- Classic Off Road Bumper Fits a Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 I like the look.. Sold out.. Unavailable.

ARB 3413090 -- ARB Bull Bar 100 Series- 2002-07 [3413090] : Cruiser Solutions, custom cruisers, restorations, genuine Toyota parts, body tubs, used Land Cruisers for sale - I like the look. Though I hear there is a gap and fitment issue when mounting on a 1999 model. I can overcome the antenna light tab issue. Generally not available. I've been discouraged to use this bumper due to a gap issue. Then I read the bumper will flex and you need a gap. There is a video about installing this bumper.

ARB 3413050 -- ARB Bull Bar 100 Series [3413050] : Cruiser Solutions, custom cruisers, restorations, genuine Toyota parts, body tubs, used Land Cruisers for sale -- Not crazy about the looks. If I buy one, add me to the people who bought this is and say they don't like it but are running it until....

Dobinsons Front Classic - Dobinsons 4x4 Classic Black Bullbar for Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series & Lexus LX470 IFS 1998 to 2007 -- There is an LX470 listed in the advertisement. Must be unobtainable. Looks similar enough to the ARB. Not much information about. Installation instructions seem sketchy.

1598366564826.png

Other than that, I really don't want a bumper that brings back images of this car when I look at it. LOL.. Ha!

1598367712156.png

I agree with @katit. You can enjoy the 100 off the road in stock form.

The 'gaps' left by the ARB 3413090 are minuscule and are only evident when looking down (like from a top view) when installed on a 98-02. There is a little space between the lower portion of the grill and the top of the bumper. You do need to install the entire bumper so there is space between the fender and the bumper, regardless of what year the vehicle is. I believe ARB suggests 15mm. That is over 1/2". I thought that was excessive and installed mine with a 1/4" gap. No issues yet with bumper or body movement during a pull or driving down an insanely rough road.

I've been very happy with my BIOR front bumper and sliders and now I'm in the midst of a 12+ week wait for a rear bumper.

Getting in the queue and waiting is just something you're going to have to accept if you want quality stuff.

Last edited:
I agree with @katit. You can enjoy the 100 off the road in stock form.

The 'gaps' left by the ARB 3413090 are minuscule and are only evident when looking down (like from a top view) when installed on a 98-02. There is a little space between the lower portion of the grill and the top of the bumper. You do need to install the entire bumper so there is space between the fender and the bumper, regardless of what year the vehicle is. I believe ARB suggests 15mm. That is over 1/2". I thought that was excessive and installed mine with a 1/4" gap. No issues yet with bumper or body movement during a pull or driving down an insanely rough road.

Good information. How did you reduce the gap to be 1/4 inch? Is there a way to adjust it during installation?

im in the same boat. Im either going to get winch plate behind factory bumper and mount my tow bar base plate for towing behind out motorhome, or im going to get an aftermarket that allows me to tow via attachment points. The Victory 4x4 looks pretty interesting...

im in the same boat. Im either going to get winch plate behind factory bumper and mount my tow bar base plate for towing behind out motorhome, or im going to get an aftermarket that allows me to tow via attachment points. The Victory 4x4 looks pretty interesting...

I wonder if a winch plate is useful with another bumper? I've seen people cut a hole for a winch in the stock bumper that doesn't look bad.

ARB 3413090 -- ARB Bull Bar 100 Series- 2002-07 [3413090] : Cruiser Solutions, custom cruisers, restorations, genuine Toyota parts, body tubs, used Land Cruisers for sale - I like the look. Though I hear there is a gap and fitment issue when mounting on a 1999 model. I can overcome the antenna light tab issue. Generally not available. I've been discouraged to use this bumper due to a gap issue. Then I read the bumper will flex and you need a gap. There is a video about installing this bumper.
The “huge gap” of running the 2003+ deluxe bumper on my son’s 2000 LC:

1598375552765.png

We found that we could get it from our local 4WP in <24 hours with no shipping fees, although we did have to pay sales tax.

I also like the understated factory Tupperware, and you can take it off-road (our 99 LX with Trail Tailor HWM):
1598376131181.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks ok to me. Now I see the gap between the bumper and fender.. I'm not worried about this..

Any limitations on winch size with this bumper?

1598377004402.png

This looks ok to me. Now I see the gap between the bumper and fender.. I'm not worried about this..

Any limitations on winch size with this bumper?

View attachment 2415981

We've got the (1st gen) Warn VR10000-s installed on my son's, and there seemed to be plenty of room in there for a larger winch.

I thought you were originally asking about crash safety

when it comes time to do mine I'll be doing the 03+ ARB and cutting off the tabs. Gaps are not really an issue. 4 Wheel parts deliver to store with no shipping.

Now I just wish they went on sale, or had a coupon that worked for them

when it comes time to do mine I'll be doing the 03+ ARB and cutting off the tabs. Gaps are not really an issue. 4 Wheel parts deliver to store with no shipping.

Now I just wish they went on sale, or had a coupon that worked for them

Thank you.

I was able to pick up my ARB through OK4wd. I used a first time purchaser coupon code from OK4wd I got by sending them my e-mail address. Included free shipping and a basic ARB recovery kit as well.

Good information. How did you reduce the gap to be 1/4 inch? Is there a way to adjust it during installation?
Check out page 11 of the install document. There is a lot of adjustment available between the body and bumper.

I was able to pick up my ARB through OK4wd. I used a first time purchaser coupon code from OK4wd I got by sending them my e-mail address. Included free shipping and a basic ARB recovery kit as well.

Check out page 11 of the install document. There is a lot of adjustment available between the body and bumper.

I signed up for their newsletter. @riffman12 -- it turns out I have a 4WP near me.. Both places list the bumper for just under $1,300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom