hitches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the hitch that came on my BJ42. I know the original owner and he did say it came new with this hitch. There was also another one owner land cruiser in town that was never touched and it had the same hitch. These were both diesel cruisers purchased in Canada at dealerships 1000s of km apart. It could be a Canadian thing or a 79+ model hitch but I’m pretty certain this was the provided OEM hitch in Canada.

8D88089A-9D9B-4D75-A4A5-F6DDAF2F8D7C.jpeg

FAC61DD6-0BF2-4464-8100-32CE0A3EB094.jpeg

I don’t think that’s an OEM hitch. Dealer/distributor aftermarket.
Could be. Canada also does things differently for add-ons, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My land cruiser is covered in spray foam underneath which was apparently a cold weather package that dealers offered. I just found it weird that 2 land cruisers (1980 and 1982) sold 5000 km apart had the exact same hitch and assumed it was OEM.

Not to hijack but Isn’t the towing capacity only like 1500 lbs? Don’t have manual in front of me but as in any short wheelbase vehicle, not ideal for towing, however maybe a small off road trailer? Something to haul some extra gear. What surprises me is how heavy some of the overland style trailers are. Turtle back stuff is nice but heavy and of course spendy as well. Along these lines what is a safe load capacity with an old Con Fer full size 5X7 rack on top of a 40?

Will try and post up what is in the back of the ‘76 and ‘78 this weekend when up North.

Not to hijack but Isn’t the towing capacity only like 1500 lbs? Don’t have manual in front of me but as in any short wheelbase vehicle, not ideal for towing, however maybe a small off road trailer? Something to haul some extra gear. What surprises me is how heavy some of the overland style trailers are. Turtle back stuff is nice but heavy and of course spendy as well. Along these lines what is a safe load capacity with an old Con Fer full size 5X7 rack on top of a 40?
I'm pretty sure my manual says 3000 lb. I think the little 3b diesel would struggle with that weight on hot days. I swapped my hitch out for a CCOT receiver hitch to put a bike rack on it... that's what I feel comfortable towing with it.

My rear bumper got the bitter end of pulling too much by a PO. After having completely removed and
replaced the bumper, my untrained assessment is someone is seriously overestimating with 3000lb. The structure behind
that bumper in the middle is pretty timid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom