Hinton sand dunes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its spewing out the main shaft, so you just put JB weld on the outside of the shaft and that will keep the fluid from spraying everywhere?

De coco, Chris won't be able to make it on this one but he really wants to get down there. The last time we tried to get him down to the dunes we crushed in 2 of the doors on his old Tacoma...we don't go that way anymore.

too bad. and yeah, let's stay away from door crushing situations... too soon.

Tara and I will be headed up on friday, so we will look to Camp on friday night. I just finished my annual maintenance on the 60, so I am stoked to see how it does towing our ~1500lb trailer off-road.

Although, the area looks closed due to the fire-ban, so hopefully we get some rain in the next couple weeks!

Its spewing out the main shaft, so you just put JB weld on the outside of the shaft and that will keep the fluid from spraying everywhere?

I have snuck in a few trips using a power steering stop leak from Canadian Tire or Napa or something before. May be worth a shot. I just kept adding and checking until the level maintained. Probably got three more trips out of that pump before it died.

Yeah it's been getting progressively worse for the past few years and so this spring I put a stop leak in there and drove it to town and back, thinking I had it figured, but the front locker and extra stresses from 4 wheeling did a number on it this may long and it spewed out faster then it ever has before. I think the seal around the main out put shaft is pooched. Still waiting on the package to arrive from 4 wheel auto, they said it isn't too hard to split the pump in half and rebuild. Lets hope ;) I just have a lot of other things on the go right now, causing me to not have enough time to get at pulling it apart in anticipation of getting the parts.

I was assuming the jb weld would go on the hole I n your fuel tank, but if you think you can make it work for the pump that would be cool. Maybe jb weld a second seal onto the shaft.

Like Mano stated, there is currently an ohv ban in our area. We still have 4 weeks for it to start raining and lift the ban, but it is a possibility that the ban will not be lifted.

Ha ha, already have JB weld on the fuel tank. The tank is leaking at that stupid vent system, a bunch of those nipples broke off, tried fixing it, didn't work, tried spreading a bunch of goop on it to stop the leaks, didn't work. Now gonna try pulling apart spare parts vent and swapping it in. Not really looking forward to that job, seems rusty and messy ;) Crappy about the fire ohv ban

As of recent the ohv and fire bans have been lifted in the Hinton area so we are good to go...unless it gets really dry again.

Very cool

There’s always room for one more Jeremy, plus it’s been too long since I’ve seen you.

Alright, one more week to go so I need a head count of who is coming so we don’t leave without everyone. Post up on here if you can make it, if you will arrive on Friday or Saturday and what you’ll be driving.

It sounds like a few trucks from Calgary are taking Friday off work and driving up on Friday. So I will be leading them down into the dunes Friday evening and we will find a camping spot. Everyone is welcome to join us on Friday. We will drive out Saturday morning to meet with the rest.

In 45minutes I heading out with the local Jeep club and they are taking me on a trail close to town. If it ends up being a good time, if people are willing to meet a bit earlier on Saturday, we can run this trail then head down to the dunes from there. That will give us some wheeling other than in the dunes. I’ll post up again tonight if it’s worth it.

I’m planning for a Friday arrival . I would be stoked if there was some trail runs we could do. Not sure if the spawn is coming or not

In, We'll shoot for Friday evening. Stoked to get out again!

Thanks for the response.

Today’s trail run was not worth re-doing next weekend. We got a few km in and then found way more trees in our way than we had chain saw fuel. So we drove back out and around to the other end up the same trail and the only guy to make it farther than 300m up the trail was the Jeep buggy on 40s.
This was my outcome, for your viewing pleasure.

I would still like to do a trail run on Saturday. We have 2 options. There is a maze of trails in the same area as the dunes that we can explore, likely bump into a bunch of quads and dirt bikes, or Emma and I drove a trail in January that seemed like it could be a good time. It was easily passable when frozen and will be “a bit soft” in places when not frozen. But I know it sees a fair bit of use so we shouldn’t have many tree issues. I can’t imagine the ruts will be as deep or as soft as it was for me today.

Just so you guys aren't guessing or waiting for me, since I posted earlier, I can't make it.
Have a good time!

My work has been piling up this week, so I'm not going to be able to leave until mid-afternoon now. Marc and I are planing on convoying up together. We could camp somewhere along the way and meet you in the morning if the timing doesn't work out for us to catch you Friday night.

I will be in my BJ60 on 33s (no trailer this time) and Marc will be in his 80 on 35s.

Cool beans, that trail looks like a soggy mess. The Hilux is in a million pieces so I'll be in my 81 "daily" with one locker, winch, armor, and baby mudders. Might get ambitious and see if 35s will fit... There is a slim last minute chance of getting there for the Friday evening but I'm aiming for Saturday at this point. Its gonna be a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom