Hinge rebuild service - maybe??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have thought about this for the past couple of weeks, at the request of Delancy. How many of you guys are interested in having your hinges rebuilt, professionally, by a machine shop?

I am thinking, that there needs to be an agreed upon procedure, and then there would be a standardized repair sequence. I have no experience with the hinges, but I know that I have several that need attention. They are a pain to disassemble, from what I can tell, and then the pin size is rather odd and requires drilling out for bushing acceptance or that you be happy with a little slop when using an off the shelf part. Give me some ideas.

My machine shop buddy may be interested in doing these. He only does things with extreme precision. He is a retired instructor at a local technical school. He built a 4,000 SF machine shop in his backyard and equipped it with machines dating back to the late 1800's. He initially wanted to run everything on belts, so he has a master power source and a system of 6" wide belts, pulleys, and shafts throughout part of his shop to run machines like a drill press, lathes, etc. pretty interesting... he also has some "new" equipment from the 1940's and 1950's. He does this as a hobby, and because he loves it. He takes pride in his work. If I approach him with hinges, I need to give him an idea of what I want done, and then he can give me a ballpark price for it.

Let me know if you are interested, and what kind of rebuild that you prefer.

Have all the specs at home, but my idea was to replicate the OE pin, all except larger diameter, but with the knurls on both ends and utilizing a brass bushing (that I sourced from Mud).

My plan was to disassemble the OEs, bore the entire assembly to accept a new knurled pin, blast, CAD plate to match the door stays, then reassemble using the brass bushings sourced on Mud.

I have a total of (12) doors with of hinges that I was going to do, simultaneously, to establish an initial quantity. Will only need (8) doors worth, now, but figured I can sell the other (4) sets, plus the OEs I have that came in the 76, be it here or eBay.

Regardless, my goal was to do it as OE-ish appearing as possible. Not sure why, not sure that it matters, but know that the clock is ticking before I have to supply the body guy with (4) doors worth of good hinges for assembly.

I'm in.

I'd be in for 1 or maybe two sets (4 doors worth) especially if they were done with a core charge. That way we wouldn't be driving around without doors while ours are rebuilt. Also you may want to price by the hinge. Right now my drivers door is horrible and the rest are all good. I've now developed a lift and close habit to help insure the door doesn't suddenly open on right turns. Even catch myself doing it on my other cars now - :-(

There aren't anymore hinges available.

I did wind up with these in the last deal, but NLA now.

image-761384638.jpg

If it comes to needing cores, will offer up what I don't need to complete my (8) doors worth, in the spirit if Cruiser Karma, plus have access to many more.

image-761384638.jpg

I have 3 sets of doors with two sets of hinges, possibly enough to start a rebuilt section that could be traded with cores. Are the upper and lower hinges interchangeable with front and rear? I have not looked closely at them, but I do recall that they look similar.

I was planning the Napa fix, but I would definitely send your man's way if more numbers would help. I have four doors worth. Might be fun to cruise around without the doors for awhile. The doors are my next project. The thought of having doors that shut and stayed shut and sounding like a new car door makes me motivated!

Hiya,

I was planning to do a set this fall with brass bushings. So you're talking about sending in the old sets and getting back rebuilds? What kind of bushings and pins and cost?

Thanks!
ty
:beer:

I am not sure, yet, on the process. I am going to go over it with my machine shop friends and get their input. They may turn me down! I would like to find a standardized method that will accomodate even the most worn hinges, and provide for years of service. I will find out. It appears that there is enough interest to move forward with the idea. I woud like to think that we could rebuild them for $20 or less each, but that may be a pipe dream. I guess it all depends on the materials and costs used. I know that I would want to disassemble them, bead blast, prime and paint, and reassemble.

I spoke to my buddy yesterday, and he wants to take a look at the hinges. He is interested in doing them, but needs to inspect to come up with process and cost.

Delancy, I have an extra pair of hood hinges, they are in fair shape. Do you want me to let the machine shop re-pin them and see if you like it? I could just send them to you. I would use them like they are. Your choice.

Delancy, I have an extra pair of hood hinges, they are in fair shape. Do you want me to let the machine shop re-pin them and see if you like it? I could just send them to you. I would use them like they are. Your choice.

James,

I'd like to wind up with two pairs of re-pinned hood hinges and eight doors worth of rebuilt hinges, all done in as similar a manner to OE, as feasibly possible.

I have three pairs of hood hinges and twelve sets of door hinges to throw into the mix, as long as I wind up with the quantity I need, the balance is communal and for the sake of making this deal viable for whomever undertakes, in the spirit of giving back to the same community I'm dependent on, to use for cores for this process.

That said, I'd like all redone.

All three pairs of hood hinges I have are loose and the stays (??) are all bent. All door hinges are questionable and I only want to do this once.

Chris

I've got a metric s*** ton of hinges I'd be willing to give to you for a rebuilt set

Please define.

I'll have to look, but I think I probably have 6-8 full sets, all 4 doors, plus what's on the rig

Maybe that's not a "metric s*** ton", but my wife sure thinks so.

"Why do you need all this s***?"

:lol:

Bahahahahaha.

There needs to be a font that is specific to conveying sarcasm in a post.

"Please define" would've been in said font.

Mentally noted your verbiage to describe "a lot", though, because it prompted a chuckle from me, which is rare.

Edited: as long as I don't try to explain any aspect of Cruisers to me wife, including how her GX is a rebadged Prado, the only available for the US market, she doesn't care, nor pay attention to my metric equivalent tonnage of crap.

Last edited:
Mentally noted your verbiage to describe "a lot", though, because it prompted a chuckle from me, which is rare.

I have a few good one-liners
Stick around

Let me check with my guy and see what he thinks is best. He has repaired slopping parts using bushings and pins in an industrial environment for 40 plus years. I would think that a heavy duty repair would be most desirable, even though, not quite oem. I would shoot for industrial strength with an oem look. Especially, since the hinges are barely visible, and that anyone with knowledge about a FJ55 would understand the hinge dilemma. I have no desire to ever repair or fix another one after it has been overhauled. My only concern is the knurl. I am not familiar enough with available pins to know if there is one similar to the what we need. That may have to be a concession for a better and rebuilt hinge.

Bogus, I may trade with you, if we can get the process perfected. Then, I could a few sets made up as stock. I hope to have news later next week.

I was unfamiliar with the knurling process before embarking on this endeavor, but it was explained to me that they merely depress a pin that is one diameter at the ends, and for the specified length, that displaces the pin to create the knurled end.

Everyone may already know this, I didn't.

I realize Fastenal is a competitor, of some sort, but they do have a very large national account that they supply with knurled pins of all sizes and configurations. The local store I frequent seemed to think that the diameter I was looking for to match the brass bushings, was a common part that they fabbed for said customer.

Unsure of the material.

If it looks OE, I'm good to go. At this point, even if it doesn't, I'm good to go, due to the time crunch I'm in, unexpectedly.

Bogus, I may trade with you, if we can get the process perfected. Then, I could a few sets made up as stock. I hope to have news later next week.

Let me know.
I'll go through the garage and shed and round up all the ones I have and let you know what I've got.

As an aside, I would think you would want to concentrate more on front hinges, as they get the most use. DS being the priority, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom