HID Bulb and Ballasts... Which combo are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used @Luke111's brackets and did the Mini H1 Stage III retrofit. I like the setup as it stands and it is much better than stock. I would; however, like to maximize the brightness the setup has to offer. With that being said, I've done a lot of research and read through all the threads I could find talking about the retrofit's but I didn't see any threads specifically talking about what combo of HID bulbs and ballasts people are using.
I'm currently using the 6500k HID bulb and the 35 watt ballast. I called The Retrofit Source and was told that they won't warranty using a more powerful ballast over the 35 watt ballast with the Mini H1 projectors due to the possibility of the lens getting to hot. Watching some of the other videos the retrofit source posted, they say that the highest lumen output is in the 5500k range with the 35 watt ballast. One video said that if you go up to a 55 watt ballast, the color of the HID bulb "changes", as in the 6500k will look more like the 5500k and the 5500k will look more like the 4400k etc. I'm thinking about ordering the 5500k HID bulb's to pair with my 35 watt ballasts in order to maximize the output.

If anyone is running 55 watt ballasts with the Mini H1 projectors, are you having any issues?

What combos are you running?

Sorry if I missed a thread about this specific discussion.

Hard to believe it's not covered here, LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET.

General recommendation in the thread was 35w ballast iirc, that's what I'm running.

That’s a great thread and no, it’s not “covered” there.
A few people mentioned what they were going to run but there isn’t really a thread where people described their thought on the output of various combinations.
In that thread, Nick from TRS I believe, said something about the 55 watt ballasts causing issues with mini H1 projectors but also said that the current model of projectors are of much better quality and perhaps it wouldn’t be an issue.
According to the TRS website, the 55 watt ballasts will yield a +20% lumen output while the 5500k HID also yields the greatest lumen output.
Just thought a thread with specific information related to the bulb, ballast combo would be handy. I’d like to know myself.

I bought some DDM Tuning Ultra H1's for ballasts I already had laying around. The H1 bulb didn't fit into the projector housing. YMMV but I'd stay away from DDM for this reason only (Ive had great luck with their kits on prior vehicles).

Running Phillip's Xtreme vision II and 55 watt Morimoto ballasts that recently got updated from the retrofitsource

I am running XenonDepot 35w ballasts with 3500k temp H1 bulbs in Morimoto H1 bi-xenon retrofit kit. My light output leaves nothing to be desired. In fact it has rendered the factory high beams with halogen bulbs largely pointless

Last edited:
I’m running 35w Morimoto XB ballasts and 5500K XB bulbs.

I’ve used 55w Morimoto ballasts on a previous vehicle. Seemed to go through bulbs every couple of years and then I started having igniter/ballast issues so I switched back to 35w ballasts. Granted, this was a much older version of ballasts/igniters/projectors/bulbs. I’d like to think they’ve made improvements over the years...?

I've run Morimoto 35W ballasts and OSRAM Nightbreaker DS2 bulbs in my truck for the past 2+ years. They're reliable and have no issues or signs of thermal damage. My suggestion is to stick with 35W ballasts.

I splurged for bulbs as I've had good luck with the OSRAM nightbreakers in previous cars and the light output is nice but they are definitely not required by any means.

I've run Morimoto 35W ballasts and OSRAM Nightbreaker DS2 bulbs in my truck for the past 2+ years. They're reliable and have no issues or signs of thermal damage. My suggestion is to stick with 35W ballasts.

I splurged for bulbs as I've had good luck with the OSRAM nightbreakers in previous cars and the light output is nice but they are definitely not required by any means.

Are the OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs that much better than the Morimoto XB HID's?

Last edited:
I am running XenonDepot 35w ballasts woth 300k temp H1 bulbs in Morimoto H1 bi-xenon retrofit kit. My light output leaves nothing to be desired. In fact it has rendered the factory high beams with halogen bulbs largely pointless

You gotta get those 2-strokes, man. Keep up!

*Note: adjustment is low in these pictures. The 2-stroke LED high-beam upgrade that Lou sells is awesome. You'll never be stuck behind a left-lane camper ever again. Especially at night.

20190526_233959_HDR.jpg

20190526_234003_HDR.jpg

Are the OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs that much better than the Morimoto XB HID's?

I think OSRAM CBIs or Nightbreakers bulbs are some of the best bulbs on the market for my needs. I've used them in my BMWs and now this truck and have had good luck with them. no quality issues and great consistent output without color fade.

I went with Nightbreakers in this truck instead of the CBIs because I was in Buffalo when I swapped my truck and wanted a warmer bulb for the crappy weather

I am running XenonDepot 35w ballasts with 3500k temp H1 bulbs in Morimoto H1 bi-xenon retrofit kit. My light output leaves nothing to be desired. In fact it has rendered the factory high beams with halogen bulbs largely pointless

I’m curious about this. I’m new to light upgrades and I’ve been reading all the threads and considering Lou’s brackets. With no first hand experience of my own, this sounds like an ideal setup on paper. Good, warm, bright light.

Why do some go with higher temp lamps? I’ve always taken for granted that a lower temp lamp, warmer color is superior to a cooler higher temp lamp. I see how if TRS says the most lumens come from 5500k/35w then some will opt for 5500k just to get a slight boost in output at the expense of light quality, but why 6500k? I’m genuinely curious. Is it just to match the LEDs that have been installed elsewhere on the truck? I also understand the appeal of the dual output LED highs, but still wouldn’t you want the lowest color temp available (especially with LEDs)?

fwiw I’m equally puzzled about interior LEDs. Yes, brighter, lower drain, but at the expense of light quality. My truck is my oasis, especially if I’m living from it or spending many hours there, last thing I want is for it to feel like a hospital. I might be cooking dinner/reading a book/getting dressed in there at night but not performing surgery.

Maybe I’m just an idiot. Can someone enlighten me?

the best visibility comes with higher temp lights, closest to the color temp of daylight on a cloudless day, in the 4800-5500k range. some prefer as high as 6000k. has nothing to do with color matching LEDs. it is much easier/cheaper to manufacture higher temp bulbs also.
as far as lower temp LEDs for interior, light that is more red/"warm"/lower temp is much easier on the eyes and lessens fatigue. think down in the halogen range of 2700-3500. im my opinion way too "warm" for a headlight.
you're not an idiot at all. just looking for answers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom