Builds Hi, My name is..……………….(yellow 76 FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazon provided an affordable upgrade to my winch. This wireless remote was easy to modify so that it could be added to my solenoid pack without disconnecting the plug for the wired remote, or making any other permanent alterations to my 8275.
The convenience of this is incredible. I highly recommend some sort of wireless controller.

4832EA51-290D-484A-906B-3D59E3CDA286.jpeg

It’s been a minute. I got distracted by another project:
View attachment 3234762

And I’ve been daily driving my ‘40 this winter so some of the fixes have been mundane, and I didn’t even take pics. My windshield wiper linkage came apart. There is a bushing that had worn down to nothing so I fabricated one out of a plastic sprinkler fitting. Wish I had a pic to share.

On of my wheels has a leak at my widening weld. Re-welded that seam and had the wheel re-powder coated but the leak persists. I’m going to try a thick layer of oil based paint on the inside of the rim next to see if that will seal it up. I’m suprised that the powder coat isn’t air tight.

I get some drips of rain behind the dash, leaking from the seam where the hood cowel meets the windscreen. Enough of those drips landed on the radio apparently, because it stopped making music. I never liked how modern that stereo appeared anyhow.
View attachment 3234764

The PO cut the radio hole out to single DIN size, so going back to OEM look isn’t an option until I get to paint. I’ll weld in an OEM radio opening at that time. For now, I have some options.

A while back I purchased a BlueTooth Amp like the ones Crazy Greek builds knobs for.

View attachment 3234765

I intended to use it on that LandRover, but this radio failure created an opportunity. I purchased a single DIN sized storage box with lid off eBay.

View attachment 3234766

The storage box is built to fit inside a DIN bracket, so it’s slightly narrower than standard DIN width. It fits perfectly between rubber knee pads on either side of the radio opening. Trimming the rubber pads was not an option, so I was relieved to find that this would be a good fit. The box also left the DIN bracket visible on the top and bottom, so i cut up the stereo trim ring and used it above and below the box to give it a more finished look.

View attachment 3234767

I cut apart and glued half the storage box so it would provide a surface to mount the BT Amp i mentioned earlier. Next time I have it apart I’ll take some pics. I’m very pleased with a plug I built for the speaker wires, and hot the box modifications worked out , but for now you only get to see the finished product. When the cubby door is flipped down a volume knob is revealed. Along with an AUX cord input and storage for an aux or USB cord. I’m thinking I’ll add a USB power plug in back of that area so the cord can stay discreetly plugged in and I don’t have to remove my cigarette lighter for USB receptacle.

View attachment 3234768

Laslty, here are a couple pics from this last fall.
View attachment 3234770
View attachment 3234769
that storage box looks better then that stereo did

Man, I really love those yellow 40's. If I could manage to find say a '79-'84 that's fairly nice, I'm going to try to buy it. I would rather put my 1HDT in one of those, than my blue '72.

Back in the 1990’s I had this yellow ‘77 fj40. That one lit the fire that is currently burning in my ‘76 today. Couldn’t get them out of my head. We found this great clip amongst my late grandpa’s VHS home movies.

Took a little drive through the Owyhees in Souther Idaho. It was a nice trip, planned by the teenage son of one of my good friends. He’s building the Jeep Cherokee that’s in the group picture. He planned a good route, but we ran into some locked gates so we had to adapt our plans and find a new objective. I’ve always looked with curiosity toward these peaks which are visible to the south of Boise. The new mission became to summit these peaks and visit a little quasi ghost town called Silver City. We enjoyed a nice camp along a tumbling stream and great views during the drive. Only a few spicy spots along the trail , and most had a bypass option.
IMG_1910.jpeg

Proof she’s not a pavement princess.

IMG_0602.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg
F44B23F0-4B70-4692-8605-AB48409550B8.jpeg
IMG_0607.jpeg

Made that trip 100's of times on atv's. So many trails out there end up at Silver City. Hoping to get the 40 out there someday soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom