Help with Stock Stereo Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at replacing my stock stereo with either the Alpine cda-9884 or a Blaupunkt similar in price $150-$175. The Blaupunkt has a USB interface, the Alpine does not, I don't think. I would also like to eventually replace the stock "powered" sub with the Kenwood KSC-SWI. Which head unit should I go with? Also wanted to replace stock Speakers w/ MB Quarts. I am not sure which MB Quarts to go with as I cannot find the top mount depth listed online for them. I would like to stay under $50/ pair on the speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the speakers? I am not overly concerned about keeping the stock speaker grills. Sorry I am not an audiophile and will probably have to pay someone to install the set-up, any mudders interested? I am in Monument, CO.

the KSC-SW1 is discontinued so if that's your choice get cracking on finding one.

I personally went all Kenwood Excellon series. The two up front has a directional tweeter and I just got the SW1 yesterday from an Ebay auction.

With the way my truck is modified great components are kind of a waste so I EBay everything and save some money.

I've got the Alpine deck you mentioned, and IMO, it's AWESOME. Haven't had much experience with Blaupunkt, though I've heard nothing but good about them.

It case you don't already know, the maximum mounting depth for an 80 is 1-3/4". Don't ask me how I know... :lol:

I found the mounting depth in searches for the 80, 1 3/4" max. What I can't find is which MB Quart sepakers would work. The online sites I have found them on do not give the mounting depth for the MB Quart speakers? I need to know which MB Quart speaker would work in the 80? I do like the look of the Alpine over the Blaupunkt MP47 deck.:)

The Alpine Deck doesn't have a USB interface, but I think you can add it for a price. You can add XM, or a CD changer, and with an optional cable, it can work with an iPod. You control the iPod functions on the deck. Cruchfield was giving the $30 cable for the iPod and any necessary mounting hardware free with the purchase of the deck. I know Blaupunkts are also very nice, but I'm familiar with Alpines. I really like mine...

I found the mounting depth in searches for the 80, 1 3/4" max. What I can't find is which MB Quart sepakers would work. The online sites I have found them on do not give the mounting depth for the MB Quart speakers? I need to know which MB Quart speaker would work in the 80? I do like the look of the Alpine over the Blaupunkt MP47 deck.:)

If possible, find a local car audio shop. They usually have high-end component stuff, including, but not limited to, MB Quart.

They should be able to tell you what the mounting depth is.

nice setup frank, that looks more like the dash of the millenium falcon, jk. The hands free bluetooth is a nice option. I was hoping to buy all online, why I was wanting to know exactly which MB Quart speakers will work in the 80. I can get the Alpine deck + Kenwood sub KSC-SW1 online for $300. I will go ahead and order those today. Man just realized this Alpine deck requires an adapter for bluetooth, cell phone use, its $179 thru sonixelectronix. Is there a head unit out there in the $150-$225 range with the BlueTooth ability built into it?

Last edited:
nice setup frank, that looks more like the dash of the millenium falcon, jk. The hands free bluetooth is a nice option. I was hoping to buy all online, why I was wanting to know exactly which MB Quart speakers will work in the 80. I can get the Alpine deck + Kenwood sub KSC-SW1 online for $300. I will go ahead and order those today. Man just realized this Alpine deck requires an adapter for bluetooth, cell phone use, its $179 thru sonixelectronix. Is there a head unit out there in the $150-$225 range with the BlueTooth ability built into it?

I am not a big fan of all in one bluetooth built in.

My son have the Sony MEXBT5000, not so bad but the display is not so good as the ipod integration.

Any how, I have seen many compatibility problems between headunits and phones and none of the so all in one manufacturers offer the bluetooth software upgrade.

Chances are that you will replace your phone with a new model before you upgrade your head unit.

Specialized Bluetooth handsfree manufacturers like Parrot provide up to date software updates on their website that you could download through a laptop to your vehicle handsfree, which cover any phone you would like to match and their handsfree units have features I never saw on any of the all in one head units. Head Unit manufacturers don´t have R&D departments to improve the bluetooth module and unfortunately neither follow the bluetooth standard exactly as the group established.

I have done calls from Pioneer and Sony all in one headunits and with add on units on Kenwood and Alpine but also from a Parrot 3200 and the other party allways told me it sounds way and clearly better from the Parrot that any of the others I tried.

The car manufacturers that incorporate OEM headunits doesn´t purchase each brand and model of available phones to test on their vehicles and the same happen with the aftermarket headunits manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom