Help with purchase of a new 80 or LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I was toying around with buying another cruiser and was thinking of something old. Then it dawned on me that I'll sell three of my other cars and buy one nice cruiser for my wife, kids and my dd. So what do I look for in a 80? What options, year is best, any really weak years? Any advice would be very nice. Also, any huge plusses to the LX450 over the 80?

Thanks for your help!

Do some searching under "buying" under the 80's section and you'll find out all kinds of stuff like this thread;

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=40327&highlight=buying+80

Also check out Slee's site as well, newbie section

Lastly, check out our FAQ right at the top of the forum, you can read up on all the stuff you have to or will want to do once you get an 80 :D

Hi there! Before all the "regulars" chime in and tell you to use the search feature. I'll cordially answer your question to the best of my ability. The 80 (FZJ80) series really encompasses both the Landcruiser and LX450 - you already knew that. For the most part they are identical. There is a FAQ on the differences between the two, but they are minor. Try to pick up a 94-97 as they have more powerful engines. I think I speak for many on the board when I say that there are few weaknesses with the vehicle. My advice would be to decide whether front and rear lockers are important to you and then go out and find the best available vehicle in your price range - if it happens to be a Cruiser - so be it; likewise if it is a LX - either way you have made a sound choice. One more thing, no matter how well cared for the vehicle was - things will need to be replaced - it's inevitable, so expect to fork over some cash to get everything up to snuff. Good luck with your vehicle search.

sonoranfun said:
...Also, any huge plusses to the LX450 over the 80?...
Any positive features of a LX450 could easily be seen as a negative by someone else...for the most part, I'd consider the LX 450 and the Land Cruiser to be the same.

Last edited:
LX_TREME said:
80 or 450 LOL im confused here :flipoff2: … they both 80 series - LC or LX450 ill take the 450 and that what the number stand for : :D
Smartass :flipoff2:
Some people use different nomenclature...but we all know what they're talking about.

Yes, they're both 80s, but are different as far as cosmetics -- mechanically, they're the same. To me the differences are insignificant. To others, this is not the case.

Lc=fzj80=lx450

Thanks a lot everybody... I've decided I'm going to hunt for a 1997 LX450 with 90,000 or so and lockers for $13,000... Now that might be a little tough but cash talks so we'll see how it goes, if I have to I'll skip on the lockers. BTW, do they end up being trouble or well worth having if you can find them? Either way, I have one year I'm looking for but time on my side so I guess we'll see when the photos of my new cruiser end up on here:)

Spring for the lockers or you will regret it. They will get you out of (or into) more touble than they will ever give you mechanically.
Dan

sonoranfun said:
Thanks a lot everybody... I've decided I'm going to hunt for a 1997 LX450 with 90,000 or so and lockers for $13,000... Now that might be a little tough but cash talks so we'll see how it goes, if I have to I'll skip on the lockers. BTW, do they end up being trouble or well worth having if you can find them? Either way, I have one year I'm looking for but time on my side so I guess we'll see when the photos of my new cruiser end up on here:)

I'm in Tucson too, and it took me 6 months to find an 80 in my price range. I only saw one 80 with lockers and it was in rough condition as well as overpriced. The guy was insulted by any counter offer. My only advice is patience. I ended up getting a clean '94 with 100K, but w/out lockers. I may regret it later, but the pickin's were slim and I am very happy right now. Good luck.

Ross

We should touch base sometime! It's nice to know people with Cruiser in the event you need help or an extra rim or whatever. I'm going to hold out for what I want, I'll give it a month but I'll pick one up anyplace in the Country I can find it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom