Help with OME Rear Leaf Spring Install 1975 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working right now to replace rear leaf springs with OME Medium Rear Springs from Cruiser Outfitters on my FJ40 (01/1975). Finding that the center leaf stack pin and hole of axle perch are off a bit. Really having a difficult time lining these up and completitng the job. Anyone with any experience navigating this situation successfully please respond to thread or even call me 843-801-5000. Thanks so much.

Ben Jackson

Working right now to replace rear leaf springs with OME Medium Rear Springs from Cruiser Outfitters on my FJ40 (01/1975). Finding that the center leaf stack pin and hole of axle perch are off a bit. Really having a difficult time lining these up and completitng the job. Anyone with any experience navigating this situation successfully please respond to thread or even call me 843-801-5000. Thanks so much.

Ben Jackson
Not sure if this will help your application, but I utilized this sweet pry bar with adjustable head and length when playing with my suspension parts, bushings etc...

Not sure if this will help your application, but I utilized this sweet pry bar with adjustable head and length when playing with my suspension parts, bushings etc...
image.jpg

Are you sure you have the spring oriented correctly? Mine had an arrow painted on the top and should be pointing toward you fixed mount point on the frame.

Also might want to verify you don't need bushing on pin to match the hole in the perch.

Thanks for all responses. Prybar, chain, come-along all on the docket for afternoon session. Spring orientation should be correct — short arm (eye to center pin) is hanger/fixed end; longer arn is the shackle end. Hoping not to have to pull the drive shaft because it appears that point of spring pin - axle perch hole alignment will be beyond point of maximal compression/retraction (fore-aft directionality) of the drive shaft

Do y’all have recommended order of attachment? Hanger first, then axle/u-bolt, then shackle? Or shackle first? Any other strategies?

Three of mine went in easy-peasy, and one was a fight to get in along the lines of what you're finding - it wanted to sit crooked in the eyelets so you couldn't get the bolts through.

I lowered the frame so I could do the eyelets first, then jacked the frame up to slowly work the springs into the axle pin holes. Pretty sure I also did the fixed side first to get that flanged pin to sit in the eyelet, then did the shackle end second. As mentioned, it can sometimes need a prybar (I used a pipe) to persuade into place depending on how snug your bushings are.

Feel free to yell at it a bit, too. 😆

Last edited:
Do y’all have recommended order of attachment? Hanger first, then axle/u-bolt, then shackle? Or shackle first? Any other strategies?
For me it was easy because I rebuilt/refinished the complete rear axle. I put the springs in first, fixed pin than shackle end. Then positioned the axle housing on top the springs and bolted down. Drive shaft last. With everything fully extended you should be able to determine if the drive shaft needs to be lengthened or shortened.

AKPoser, Byron, Godwin, zerotreedelta: thanks so much for your responses. It was quite the Saturday but we got it done. Last Saturday was dedicated to the front end suspension - with that job, the hardest part was removal of 45 year old rusty parts; the springs & shocks went on relatively easily. This Saturday, removal was much easier but the rear springs almost beat us. Thankfully with a lot of effort, the right tools, & rigging equipment/technique (thanks in part to you all convincing me that the job was doable albeit challenging), we were able to compress the springs & line up the center pin with axle perch hole, and get it done.
0884C2EA-10A3-48F0-997E-0259B6F060E7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom