Help with MM hydraulic (military version) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I recently acquired this beast. From everything I can tell this is a former military version of the MM 10,500 lb. Appears to be in pretty good shape. It came with a very heavy duty set of blue hydraulic cables that will require a refit to work on my 80 series. Also has a large almost waterproof looking yellow controller with big buttons for IN and OUT. As you can see the pendant connection is a fairly sturdy deal that actually locks into the controller. The only issue is its got the 24v solenoids on it. If anyone on here knows anything about these I would appreciate the input. I know I could purchase and swap to 12v solenoids but I am curious if I can just tie it into both my primary and secondary batteries to make it 24v ? Going to tag a few of the experts here @george_tlc , @landtank , @greentruck
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2309.JPG

I know you can get 24v by connecting the positive terminal from battery 1 to the negative of battery 2, and then hooking the two remaining terminals (pos. & neg.) to the winch. This is called a series connection and it adds the voltage of the separate batteries without increasing the capacity of the batteries. As opposed to a parallel circuit This will put a lot of strain on those batteries especially if you winch very long and hard pulls but it should work.

Screen-Shot-2011-11-20-at-6.26.19-AM.png

That is an awesome controller!

Know nothing about these, except they have a pretty good rep considering the conditions they're used under.

The problem I see with your 24 volt idea is that both batteries have to be good. Kind of makes using one or the other as a back-up a problem.

Consider that the 24 volt solenoids on it are likely a bit crunchy already. If you want reliable, and this is the part most likely to fail on a properly wired and working winch, then you gotta replace them anyway. I'd just go with 12 volt and be done with it. Or you could upgrade to one of those fancy solenoid replacements, but I can't help with the cost-benefit angle on that. Pricing things out may tell you a lot once you know what your budget will support.

You'll never get it to work! I suggest you send it to me for my 24v truck!

Pete

You'll never get it to work! I suggest you send it to me for my 24v truck!

Pete

I think shipping to Japan would be killer for you. Otherwise you could just have it for what I have in it and I would go grab a 12v version to make life easier.

I'm going down to the local hydraulic shop today to talk with there guys and see if I can come up with a solution. Otherwise MM PN# 34-5020-41 comes with new valve, solenoid, controller, etc. Pretty much everything to make this work with the Toyota PS system and 12v.

I was just joking man – ha ha. I'm pretty happy with my PTO winch. But seriously think about what you could get for it from one of those guys with 24v military trucks. Just out of curiosity what are you going to use to run the pump? A belt off the engine?

Pete

I was just joking man – ha ha. I'm pretty happy with my PTO winch. But seriously think about what you could get for it from one of those guys with 24v military trucks. Just out of curiosity what are you going to use to run the pump? A belt off the engine?

Pete

They run off of the OEM power steering pump

So the conversion solenoids to get it down to 12v can be had from Grainger pn CAP012L , requires 2. They also quoted me a pn for 12v circuit breaker, but I doubt it actually needs it. After that all that's left is the fitment kit to adapt to Toyota PS pump.

Sweet! Make sure and follow up with a shot of it on the truck.

Pete

Can you see what manufacturer made that handheld controller? I'd consider adding to my project 8274.

Can you see what manufacturer made that handheld controller? I'd consider adding to my project 8274.

I will look tomorrow. I spoke with one of the tech's from MM yesterday. He said they swapped the military over to that style controller because they kept losing the smaller non yellow ones.

So the biggest issue now is no one local to me can supply the appropriate fittings to adapt these hoses to my gearbox and ps pump. Which means unless someone has a source or idea I will have to buy the kit from amazon or a vendor for $100 !

Ok, so I got this thing running today. The solution is actually pretty simple. You purchase two of these PARKER Cartridge Valve Coil - 4DMK2|CAP012L - Grainger . That takes care of the wiring portion of it. To adapt to the 80 series pump is quite simple. Take your old power steering high pressure line, or spare, to a hydraulic shop. Have them cut the metal tube right where it goes into the rubber line. Then have them braze on a pair of 6jic fittings. This is a very standard size and you will now be able to adapt normal hydraulic hose to your factory Toyota fittings. Apparently I didn't take any pictures of these off vehicle but it was an easy solution and cost about $25.
IMG_2386.JPG
Currently I have the hoses routed a little funny and I think one of the bends is causing a bit of noise in the pump. This is easy enough to change if I decide to. A quick trip to the hydraulic shop can have the hoses shortened down to whatever length I decide on. Everything spools in and out, gearbox works in both ranges. Pretty happy with it.
IMG_2387.JPG
The military style controller is super kick @$$
IMG_2389.JPG

Very sweet setup. Let us know how it does for you.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom