Help with 24v Setup - I hope I didn't screw up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1989 JDM HJ61

Situation is as follows:

I left my lights on for 3 hours. Still started up fine. Amazingly, later that day, I did it again, for about an hour. This time, wouldn't start. Had my 16yo drive to my location with another car, it quickly and easily jump started, and I then drove for 20 minutes or so to recharge.

Batteries are old, original from when I imported the rig about 4 years ago.

Anyway... The next morning, it wouldn't start, the starter was turning the engine over but just barely, like half a rotation. Tried jumping it, still wouldn't start or turn over more than just barely.

Took the batteries and had them charged at Autozone.

This is where I really screwed up. I have no idea how in the world I did this, because I was paying attention to it as I did it, but had a horrible brain fart. When I put the batteries back in, and connecting the batteries together, I accidentally connected the positive on the left side (from drivers perspective) to the positive on the right. Fixed it, and got the same result as before, the starter just barely turns the engine over like half a turn.

Hoping I didn't really screw something up, I bought new batteries, because I figure I need them anyway. Installed them, same result. Turns over maybe half a turn. I also noticed this whole time, the clutch is more difficult to push down than usual, so the clutch hydraulics are not really pressurizing/working.

I don't know what to do now. I don't know if it's a fuse, a fusible connector, something else? I really don't understand electrical very well, so am at a total loss as to what I should do or where I should go from here.

When I try to start it, and turn the key to the on position, everything works like it should - air blows, instrumentation seems fine, headlights work, turn signals work, etc. Just won't start ,or even come close. Starter does move a bit, about half a turn as it's been.

I am attaching photos of the setup, and would appreciate any advice that can be given.

One last thing, when I first turn the key and power things on, I noticed a squiggly icon thing lights up, something I don't think I have seen light up before - though maybe I have just never noticed it. It's circled and marked with a question mark in one of the pics.

PXL_20221130_200103089.jpg

PXL_20221130_200341266.jpg

PXL_20221201_160448374.jpg

PXL_20221201_160454353.jpg

PXL_20221201_160510992.jpg

squiggly line is your glow indicator

The "squiggly" light is for your glow plugs, but unfortunately that's all I can offer you at this point.

I highly doubt you screwed anything up by hooking + to + as that would just get you 12 volts. It won't work but I also can't see it hurting anything.

Energized glow plugs pull some amps. Seeing your battery voltage pulled down while that circuit is active is normal. Your indicated voltage should rise once the plug circuit is deactivated.

You have the clutch vacuum booster, so the clutch will be stiffer when the engine isn't running. Was the clutch still stiffer when you had it successfully jump started and running initially?

The clutch is less stiff when running, yes... I could be just imagining it, but pretty sure it's stiffer than normal when I try to start it now. But, probably a non-issue. I just can't figure out why the starter seems to barely be getting any power

Last edited:
You can do a quick test.could be a ground issue.
Take a starter jump cable and connect it from the engine directly to the ground connection on the left battery. Your passenger side.
Then try starting again.

Exactly, some are not making fully contact to the battery pole either.

Exactly, some are not making fully contact to the battery pole either.
That was my thought as well. Most of those are clamped down at the top and not fully seated.

Try to grab each of the 4 battery terminal clamps and twist them. If they move AT ALL, they are too loose. If that's the case, loosen them all the way up, and push them all the way down to the base of the terminal, and then tighten them up.

My money is on your batteries being totally dead OR your battery terminals being loose OR both.

Also, for what it's worth, the dash lights being on doesn't mean the batteries are OK. The starter draws like 200 amps. It needs all the juice it can get, especially on a diesel. The dash lights draw a couple amps.

That light is your glow screen. How cold is it there? That comes on automatically if its below 32f/0C. So if its cold out thats normal. But the glow screen drains your battery quick.

I had to replace my batteries because they would not charge. Once swapped out they were good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom