HELP!? What is happening and what should the cost be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTC

Threads
Hi everyone, just wanted to see if anyone has heard of this or experience with it. I have a 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser that I bought last year. Its been great but my local Toyota dealership when I took it in for something just diagnosed what they said was - and I quote " The timing cover is leaking significantly as well as the valve cover gasket and lower oil pan. They said "good news" because the valve cover gasket would be addressed within the timing cover repair because its is right in the same vicinity. They gave estimate of part and labor of $4500 after tax. Can anyone help me understand this and if that is reasonable?? Seems high to me. Mileage is 88 k. Runs great and no oil dripping or pools I have ever seen. I don't off road in it. Its my daily driving (dad of 5).

Appreciate ANY advice.

Ben

Get a second opinion at a quality independent shop.

Agree, get a second opinion. What was the reason you brought it in that rendered this first opinion.

It looks like you're in the Seattle area. Perhaps some MUD members there will know of a good dealer or indy shop that can give you a second opinion. @kreiten perhaps? or maybe @tbisaacs ?

Last edited:
Sounds high to me but again I'd get a second if not third opinion from some independent Japanese shops.

I would really appreciate that.

Torfab up in Everett is the only place to go for LC work, that is all they work on. They are working on my 100 series right now. Honest as the day is long and does quality work. Only issue is they book up far into the future but will squeeze in emergency work as best they can.

I would really appreciate that.
Looks like some others you could contact via pm in this thread:

It looks like you're in the Seattle area. Perhaps some MUD members there will know of a good dealer or indy shop that can give you a second opinion. @kreiten perhaps? or maybe @tbisaacs ?

Gregs Japanese auto works on my LX - been very happy.

If oil isn’t hitting the floor I’d have trouble paying to fix a leak, and I absolutely hate oil leaks. Mine has this exact leak but it isn’t bad enough to address yet. I just hose it down with a bottle of degreaser after every oil change.

Second opinion isn’t a bad idea. I’d wonder how the low oil light came on if none is hitting the ground and it was actually filled all the way up.. burning some?

Reactions: BTC
If oil isn’t hitting the floor I’d have trouble paying to fix a leak, and I absolutely hate oil leaks. Mine has this exact leak but it isn’t bad enough to address yet. I just hose it down with a bottle of degreaser after every oil change.

Second opinion isn’t a bad idea. I’d wonder how the low oil light came on if none is hitting the ground and it was actually filled all the way up.. burning some?
Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom