Help w/ serpentine replacement - possible damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried my hand at replacing the serpentine belt on the GX due to typical belt noise. Quick steps to walk you through where I ended up and I am now panicking.

- I started from above the engine, removing the fan shroud and engine cover
- When I went the remove the four bolts for the fan that attached to the pulley, I noticed the fan moved easily when trying to loosen the bolts
- I was able to place a screwdriver on one side of the fan and pulley while loosening the four bolts
- I replaced the belt following the diagram on the inside hood
- I then went to start the rig and noticed a loud noise. I quickly turned off the vehicle and realized I completely spaced replacing the fan and tightening the pulley, so the pulley came flying off with the belt causing the noise. Talk about a brain fart
- I then re-positioned the belt, placed the pulley back on, placed the fan back on, and tightened the four bolts
- I now noticed that the fan is now hard to tun, which is not what was happening when I initially went to remove the fan, as it was easy to turn
- I am now scared to try turning on the vehicle in case of doing any further damage

Any tips here before I end up giving up and having towed to the nearest Toyota dealer? (I don't have a Lexus dealership close)

The fluid inside the fan clutch changes with temperature. If it was warm when removed then cooled off when installed it will have more resistance.
Thanks for some reassurance. I guess I will try starting the rig tomorrow to see how it goes.

Thanks. Got the rig put back together. No weird noises, belt seems seated. Went for a short drive to see if everything ran well. However, I did notice that there is a slight fan wobble. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks. Got the rig put back together. No weird noises, belt seems seated. Went for a short drive to see if everything ran well. However, I did notice that there is a slight fan wobble. Is this something to be concerned about?

Depending upon how bad the wobble, yes I'd worry about it. It will wear out the fan/motor bearings sooner if not addressed.
Are the fan blades clean? Is there anything at all stuck to any of the fan blades? Or a chip out of the any of the blades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom