Help upgrade the Bull (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
For the general wheeling that we do, do you think it is best to be armored, expo'ed, etc. to the hilt, weight be damned, or do you think appropriate mods for protection with an eye towards keeping the truck light would be the best approach? Drew is convinced that my 60 goes so well because it's "light" for a cruiser, especially compared to his 80 beast. I know the old 2F appreciates my minimalistic approach so far, but as I'm starting to really planning my upgrades and need to take a direction.

Not necessarily the most technical question, I know, but wanted to get some feedback. Ideas are tube bumpers vs. plate steel IPOR/4x4Labs/ARB heft. Minimal sleeping platform vs full out platform, drawers for everything, etc.

The truck goes really well off-road. Will put Aussie locker in the rear and try to get another inch lift on it, and possibly an Aussie in the front, no suspension/drivetrain mods, unless I need extra leafs in the case I armor to the hilt. Would like to do some harder trails, but never see me doing Hellivator/GuardRail type stuff.

For my 62, i would have liked to go the light weight route for the reasons of 3f/auto and better gas milage, but decided to go with armor. I bought extra heavy ome bc i knew down the road i'd add an arb, sliders, and rear bumper with swing outs.

Most of the older body-on-frame trucks were designed so that the drivetrain sits between the frame rails and the body sits on top of that, hence better ground clearance than an FJC. My FJC's body is sorta formed over and around the frame, providing a lower CoG, but that also means a lot of my sheet metal and drivetrain sits lower than yours.

For a 60 series, I'd think about bumpers since you're likely to drag it off ledges. Then fabricate a lighter bumper than an ARB that's strong enough for a winch...think 2x4 steel with some refinement. If you are concerned about your corners add some little hoops that tie to the bumper and frame rail like I saw on somebody's Taco at GSMTR.

I'd be less concerned about skids at this point - but you may want to see if you can build something off the trans crossmember.

forgive the Gr.Wagoneer pictures, but your 60 has a similar build/stance.
22-3777.jpg

22-3774.jpg

For my 62, i would have liked to go the light weight route for the reasons of 3f/auto and better gas milage, but decided to go with armor. I bought extra heavy ome bc i knew down the road i'd add an arb, sliders, and rear bumper with swing outs.

Now you just need to wheel it! :flipoff2:

For the general wheeling that we do, do you think it is best to be armored, expo'ed, etc. to the hilt, weight be damned, or do you think appropriate mods for protection with an eye towards keeping the truck light would be the best approach? Drew is convinced that my 60 goes so well because it's "light" for a cruiser, especially compared to his 80 beast. I know the old 2F appreciates my minimalistic approach so far, but as I'm starting to really planning my upgrades and need to take a direction.

Not necessarily the most technical question, I know, but wanted to get some feedback. Ideas are tube bumpers vs. plate steel IPOR/4x4Labs/ARB heft. Minimal sleeping platform vs full out platform, drawers for everything, etc.

The truck goes really well off-road. Will put Aussie locker in the rear and try to get another inch lift on it, and possibly an Aussie in the front, no suspension/drivetrain mods, unless I need extra leafs in the case I armor to the hilt. Would like to do some harder trails, but never see me doing Hellivator/GuardRail type stuff.

Lightweight is good - it puts less stress on your driveline. But, no matter how lightweight your rig is you will still damage it almost the same if you take a rock/tree/zombie/jeep to a non-protected area.

The first thing I would do to the Bull is a rear locker - try an Aussie.

From there I'd make camping more comfortable.

You already have a winch and sliders don't ya?

I agree on a rear locker. You will do more damage with armor open/open than open/locked.

Sliders, minimal front and rear...WHEEL.

And protection doesn't have to be hella heavy either. You can fab or purchase some pretty simple front and rear bumpers for a 60 series. Add some rear end quarter protection that is relatively light weight and you are pretty good on protection for the time being.

Thanks guys, this confirms my instincts to keep it simple. When we go to these events and see all the cool things others are doing to their trucks, it's easy to want to go all out. It's good to be reminded that these trucks don't need much to be able to enjoy them.

I think that the rear locker and gears will be next on the list, with a simple rear bumper and quarter protection next. Might try to redo the front bumper along the way, to get it up and tight.

Lightweight, rear locker, low COG. Pretty much everything that was said above. I would do a 2x4 plate rear bumper, with tube hoops to protect the rear quarters. Keep everything off the roof, and don't hang a full size spare, CO2, Hi lift, and kitchen sink off the back end.

Jeremy

a diesel engine :) turn her into a daily driver that gets 20+mpg!!!!

yup, you guys are fast. Give Stan a call and throw on some sliders while your at it :D

Thanks Jason :)

BTW- I am Stan

Take a look at my Sig

My personal list of upgrades from stock to wheeler (in order):
Traction control (open/open to open/locked unless you have ATRAC, etc)
Sliders
Lift
Tires
Rear Bumper
Snorkel
Front Bumper
Gears
Recovery (Winch, etc)

By the time you get to the bottom of the list, you are most likely working on something else again higher up.

Mine is close to yours but a weeee bit different...

Recovery bag (tow rope, snatch strap or recovery rope, D shackles, gloves) hi-lift, shovel, axe
Sliders
Lift
Tires
Front Bumper
Winch
Rear Bumper - unless you got a long rear end and will be dragging it across rocks
Gears
Snorkel - besides for dust most don't need a snorkel

My personal list of upgrades from stock to wheeler (in order):
Sliders
Lift
Tires
Rear Bumper
Snorkel
Front Bumper
Gears
Recovery (Winch, etc)

By the time you get to the bottom of the list, you are most likely working on something else again higher up.

My list gets a LOT longer if you count the stuff not bolted to the truck, that is for sure.

After a few years of testing I noticed cleaner oil, less engine trouble, and overall better power with a snorkel sucking in the air above the dust cloud that ALWAYS happens in the summer.

I was going to put a snorkel on my Lexus this year but without anything else it would look too poser :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom