help should I run from this LJ7--3.0 diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm looking to buy a 1995 LJ71 3.0 turbo diesel with 142,000 miles JDM. Its out of state so i found a helpful person to go look at it for me. 2 things about it alarmed him.
1 when they started it it died after a min of running and the oil light came on, mind you it was very cold recently and has not run much latley... The guy said its just a sensor that intermediately comes on and off on these diesels.
2 he took oil cap off and felt some blow back, very light he said but it was there and made the cap dance alittle he said on each compression.
should i run from this truck for those reason? i'm fine putting around 1k into if need be to fix this problem but much more and the truck would be over priced then and will not go lower. hes asking $18,000

thanks any tips, i own a 1993 usa 80 series with a small engine oil leak somewhere, its not the end of the world to me if i should just live with it the same thing on this truck too i will.

Last edited:
The starting, running for a min, then dying could also be a 'kill-switch' not getting flipped or triggered to keep the vehicle operational. an after-market security feature installed in some of these.

One possibility, i'll let the rest speak further.

Go Brewers!

i'm fine putting around 1k into if need be to fix this problem
If you think 1K is the maximum you want to spend on a 26 year old import, keep walking. You could blow triple that getting it up to standard. A 142000 what?

Hello,

A kill switch or air in the fuel line may be the cause.

An LJ71 that age is likely to require more than 1K. Is it a JDM truck?

JDM turbo diesel owners have a history of not allowing their turbos to spool down and cool properly.

Listen to what Onur / @Onur has to say about this truck's details.

Do not spend money you cannot afford to lose.

Juan

Hey guys, thanks for the helping me out with this. Truck has 142,000 miles/232,000 kilometers.
I wouldn't say 1k is the maximum i'm willing to spend, but i hope this truck isnt unnecessary broke already.... that costs too much money from day one...
From your guys experience how much do these trucks cost for what i'm describing in first post to fix by a mechinc?
Would I need to dump 3k get it running to the point of not causing permeant damage the day after i bought it or something more reasonable like 1k. i'm only going to be putting about 5000 miles a year on it for what thats worth...

Last edited:
Hi
The Engine dying after a min can have several reasons, especially when cold. My 3B has a choke (a wheel to turn to increase idle. some people are not even aware of that). If not properly set, mine also dies after a min when cold or the slighted attempt to accelerate or go in gear.
The blowby is a concern however. The shaking of the lid can also be just vibrations, but real fumes coming from the oil lid is no good. A compression test would tell but probably hard to arrange if vehicle is not close.
Once you get into an elderly vehicle you always find things in need of a fix sooner or later. If you can't do it yourself and need a workshop, 1k is nothing, I guess.
You for sure can't fix an engine for that.
Regard
Ralf

From your guys experience how much do these trucks cost for what i'm describing in first post to fix by a mechinc?
Thats hard to say. You could be looking at a front axle service. At that mileage, you might be needing a clutch, full brake rebuild etc. Now is the time to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
I guess the main issue would be the engine compression. If you cant get it compression tested , or its under spec, I would probably walk away.
But if the compression is ok I would put aside $3k and if you have change, its a bonus.
Having the right mechanic will likely save you money.

Idk why y'all are saying "LJ71"
A 1995 with a 3.0 1KZ is clearly a KZJ71

The shutoff could be a fuel issue like a filter clogged, could be a sensor issue on the injection pump, could be an oil pressure sensor shutting off the ecu. I'd put money on the fuel spill valve on the Injection pump. If it only happened once and then after restarting was fine, then sure it probably sat for awhile and developed an air bubble or something in the fuel line that had to be worked out. Could he take it on a test drive?

You should budget $3-5000 in repairs. Could be $100, but you never know.

That ain't no kill switch. I've never had a kill switch allow a truck to run for a full minute and then kill it.

The guy said its just a sensor that intermediately comes on and off on these diesels.
Its great to know he has diagnosed the problem. Now he could fix it and alleviate all buyer concerns. That's how a decent person does things.
Sensors are usually saying "something is wrong, lets shut down"

It is annoying when vendors can not get the model designation correct, they look like flippers. Unless it was bought in before it was 25 years old and registered as a different model. Something to think about.

your sure its not the level sensor light ?
my oil level sensor is damaged from me being rough and pulling the sump out in place to reseal it and snapping a part of it off, when oil level gets down to half on dipstick this will make the level sensor light up, sometimes when sitting over night it lights up first thing, im sure these dont have an oil pressure light only a oil pressure gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom