Help - real time. Need picture of rr axle inner seal! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My daughter is leaving in her 97 and moving to Virginia. I'm going over the vehicle and found oil in the rear right drum brake. It must the the inner seal that the axle runs in. I recall this is a funky little seal with a metal edge to press it in and I replaced them a few years ago. Could someone post up a couple photos of the seal? I have huge boxes of 80 bits and am looking through them with lots of unlabeled seals. I need to know if I should tear into it, or deal with it later in Virginia. If I see a picture of it, I can quickly identify that I have one in my vast collection. Time is of the essence as I was moving on to final stuff. Thanks!!!!!!!!

My daughter is leaving in her 97 and moving to Virginia. I'm going over the vehicle and found oil in the rear right drum brake. It must the the inner seal that the axle runs in. I recall this is a funky little seal with a metal edge to press it in and I replaced them a few years ago. Could someone post up a couple photos of the seal? I have huge boxes of 80 bits and am looking through them with lots of unlabeled seals. I need to know if I should tear into it, or deal with it later in Virginia. If I see a picture of it, I can quickly identify that I have one in my vast collection. Time is of the essence as I was moving on to final stuff. Thanks!!!!!!!!
These can run with gear oil in the hub. That little seal is not very large and not very sturdy. I pushed mine in with my fingers.

As long as the main hub seal to the axle housing is holding in the gear oil, you're good. Most of the 3/4T+ Dana axles all have the bearings of the FF rear axle bathed in gear oil only.

There are many on here that totally remove the seal and only run oil in the rear hubs.

Check the diff oil level, make sure the hub seals are good, and drive it!

This is what I used when I went through my rear bearings. But as BILT4ME mentioned, I ditched the inner axle seals and run gear oil on the bearings, but the oil shouldn't be in with the parking brake shoes. That seal for the hub should keep it in the hub.

Last edited:
I've got more than 50k miles over the last 5 years running without the inner oil seal with no issue.

Regardless of what you do with the inner axle seal you still need to keep the oil (or grease) in the hub and off the brakes, as mentioned above.

1659470703854.png

Perfect Jon. So I did have one of the little devils. I was able to replace it. Puzzled me that it was not getting past the axle flange seal at the very tips, so I wondered if the breather was plugged. Yep. So I also replaced the easily plugged snorkel deal with a fuel filter. Thanks very much for the real time help, gang. In bleeding the rear brakes, one of the bleeders was also plugged, so I just got back from buying a pair at NAPA. I'm sure the other is not long for the world either. The old girl is at 299,699 so a few hours into Montana I expect to get the obligatory 300,000 mile odometer picture. She runs like a champ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom