Help out an 80 owner - tool for checking block/head flatness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I figure more of you guys have pulled Cruiser heads over the years and might have an answer. I'm pulling my head and need a tool to check the block and head gasket sealing surfaces. Any recommendations on this? I have not done any research, but it occurs to me that only straight 6 blocks are this long and you guys may already have a line on somebody that sells one.

Thanks in advance,

DougM

Hawk,

Thanks for the link. It's hard to conceive of a world like this, but I could not find such a tool on NAPA, Schucks, Sears, ad nauseum. That is seriously pricy from SnapOn - anyone find/own/use another brand? I need it to go the length of the straight 6 and that beauty's $100 from SnapOn...

DougM

That is the one I have....

My 80's block is a quarter inch shy of 30 inches - do I need one that overlaps, or is it common to just have say a 24 inch straight edge and use it to find out if there are non flat areas?

Thanks,

DougM

The block's staying in the frame, while the head's off to a shop. So, I'm concerned about the block as it will be my responsibility to ensure it's flat. However, I'm happy to say that the shop that's doing the head work offered to lend me a straight edge long enough to check the block.

Regards,

DougM

I have a 36" machinist's rule that I stand on edge for a straightedge. It's straight if the bed of my lathe is straight (and it is), and cost something like $40. from Starrett a few years ago.

Probably the same thing Snap-On sells but theirs won't have the measuring markings.

honk said:
I have a 36" machinist's rule that I stand on edge for a straightedge. It's straight if the bed of my lathe is straight (and it is), and cost something like $40. from Starrett a few years ago.

Probably the same thing Snap-On sells but theirs won't have the measuring markings.

yeah, but the extra $60 goes towards the laser etching snap-on logo....

it's worth it, really, it is ;)

head to a drafting supply store for a straight edge or use the machinist's rule...maybe the place you're taking your head to can help you figure something out....

bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom