Help Needed w/ Rear Brake Pad Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may sound silly, but I can't get the rear brake pads out. My new to me LX450 has 58,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure the rear brake pads have never been replaced and they only have a tiny amount of pad left. I have removed the rear caliper and the anti squeal shim was a rusted mess and came right off. But the pads themselves will move a little but will not come out. I don't want to pry too much against the rotor surface. Any secrets? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

Did you take the retaining pin out?

Retaining pin? I am still waiting to receive the FSM I ordered, so all I have is the Haynes from the library and it doesn't mention a retaining pin. I am at work, so I can't go and take a look immediately. Can you explain further?

Thanks,

Joel

The brake pads are held together with a retaining pin which is attached to the brake caliper. You can see the retaining pin at the top part of the pads.

stand corrected the rears don't have retaining pins

Last edited:
The rears do not have retaining pins, only the front.

I assume you have the calipers off of the knuckle already.

Try a screw driver and a hammer to lightly tap the pads away from the rotor. Alternate from side to side. Good idea to stay away from the rotors.

I too had to do some prying with a BF flat-head screwdriver. The rotors were a little grooved so the pads were comfortable where they were and didn't want to come out. They came out with some persuasion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get back to it tonight and see if I can't provide a little more persuasion. I always have to fight my natural tendency to just start bashing away, which usually just ends up making things worse and costing me more money.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom