Help...my FJ40 has sprung a Leak in the cabin! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Took the wife to the famers market today and a few miles down the road water starts coming into the cabin and spraying on my wife's leg. Looks like the bottom hose here has a new leak in it (you can see it is wet under the bottom). Assuming it has something to do with my heater? Wanted to see what these hoses are, where the water is coming from and how can I get Mississippi Mud sorted and back on the trails? Thx for the help and advice MUD

IMG_1388.jpg

Those are the heater hoses. Easily enough to replace. The lines going downwards (plugged with bolts) originally went to a rear heater which has likely been removed. Technically they are metric heater hose, but I’ve been running imperial heater hose for more than 30 years now without a problem.

Btw, it appears your fresh/recirculated air duct from your blower is no longer connected to the heater. Also the defrost duct is pointed down rather than being longer and going to the defrost vent at the bottom of the windshield

In these parts that’d never pass a safety inspection because your defrost/heat wouldn’t work.

5/8 heater hose should work. Stk lines would be copper with short rubber hoses connecting between the copper. Personally I would make some copper lines going thru the firewall and then 90° to the heater and eliminate the plugged T's. I ran rubber lines like yours for yrs, until a friend sat in the pass seat and asked,"What happens to me if one of those hoses burst?" Toyota also had hose covers over the connections.

5/8 heater hose should work. Stk lines would be copper with short rubber hoses connecting between the copper. Personally I would make some copper lines going thru the firewall and then 90° to the heater and eliminate the plugged T's. I ran rubber lines like yours for yrs, until a friend sat in the pass seat and asked,"What happens to me if one of those hoses burst?" Toyota also had hose covers over the connections.

To elaborate: stock setup had brass 90* elbows that were insulated. The short rubber lines that coupled the lines together were covered with steel guards to protect each of them.

Yea got the bottom hose off. It was old and crusty and the clamps were both rusted and pretty brittle. Going to get a new 5/8 hose and some new clamps. Refill the anti freeze and hope that solves the issue!

To elaborate: stock setup had brass 90* elbows that were insulated. The short rubber lines that coupled the lines together were covered with steel guards to protect each of them.

This looks like a pre 74 heater. I show 73 possibly having pipes with insulation, my 73 when I bought it had a Land Rover heater up front and huge aftermarket heater in the back. Prior to 73 it was just rubber hoses except for the fittings going thru the firewall. The black metal clamps that went around the hose connection and the silver plate that bolted to the firewall as protection came later.

This looks like a pre 74 heater. I show 73 possibly having pipes with insulation, my 73 when I bought it had a Land Rover heater up front and huge aftermarket heater in the back. Prior to 73 it was just rubber hoses except for the fittings going thru the firewall. The black metal clamps that went around the hose connection and the silver plate that bolted to the firewall as protection came later.
Yep she is a 1972 with the rear heater eliminated a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom