Help me with a wiring schematic. Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to get my old 40 back on the road. The reason I took it off was electrical. The blinker switch inside the unknown year GM column broke AND the brake lights developed a short. It's old, when it rains it pours.

This is what I want to do. Build a completely new wiring system not utilizing the current switches and wires. The current system is a birdsnest of old wires and it's awful.

I will be mounting new tail lights, LED probably, on the rear but utility the original head lights.

If someone could help me with a wiring diagram that is simple to read and a brief description of it that would be awesome. If not I'll continue to search the interwebs.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on deciding to take the wiring harness plung! I am doing it now and have learned a lot from doing the rebuild myself as opposed to buying a plug and play. That being said, you didnt mention what year your 40 is, but there are lots of great wiring schematics on Coolerman's site (mud search will bring up even more). I would agree on the LED route for the rear, but really think now would be a good time to upgrade the front headlights using relays. Made a huge improvement on mine, and took lots of strain off the old wiring by not having the high current headlight draw going though the stock harness, switches, etc.
Make sure to allow much more time than you think though!.

I'm going to use all new switches. Just want to get it back on the road. I think finding one completed would be hard to do.

I'll take a look at coolermans site.

ETA: it's a 1963/68 truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom