Help me ID - 1966? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mars

SILVER Star
Threads
Morning folks,

Can you help me ID this truck - the title says it is a 1966 but I'm not certain. Obviously it's got the corrugated top and bug catcher doors...but it doesn't have the windshield vent I'd expect from a 1965.

Do you think it's cobbled together? I can't find a frame VIN number at all when I looked at it.

The engine is a later model 2F with a 4 speed, steering column and power steering put in from a later FJ40 so no help there with the ID. Same with marker lights/emblems, changed out at some point.

Thanks!

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed.jpg
IMG-4654.jpg

Windshield vents last year was 65 i think.
Looks like VIN tag is missing from firewall, best bet is to find the frame VIN on passenger side frame horn, looks like its covered by that super bumper / winch plate. Look on passenger fender behind battery, VIN tag went there in 67. ( incase its not a 66)
Besides the hard top and bucket seats and front turn signals the rest looks 66ish.

Last edited:
Were there any hardtop corrugated trucks from 1966?

No that hard top ended in mid 1965 ( EDIT: corrected year after correction from Whitey on year ended )

Last edited:
Corrugated top ended in 65, so it could be a late 65 build and got a 66 windshield. Or it’s a 66 and someone put a corrugated top in at some point.a lot happens over 50 years!

def a later corrugated top as it's low post. per the vin change tahoe listed, that puts the end of the corrugated top at sometime in july 1965. could be late 65 titled as 66. late 65 would also answer the windshield vent

I’m not 100% sure what low post translates to… Is that something you can identify from the outside of the vehicle? At least it’s not obvious that a earlier top is put on a newer unmatching body correct?

This is a high post, compared to what is on that ?66? FJ40, and what is normal for FJ40 tops. I think this went till 63ish.
As long as the vin is pre FJ40-36364 that top should be correct for that FJ40
IMG_8325.jpg

my WAG is it is pieced together, sure looks like a bad weld/seem on the passenger side rocker
what do the windshield hooks look like?
how about the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom