Help - Idle + fuel cutout issues '89 FJ62: feedback / ideas requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've been unable to get my 62 smogged this year - failed the NOx test - registration now expired. Looking for some input & suggestions from the community as to what / how to diagnose I believe to be the root cause (high idle in P). My trusted cruiser shop is an hour away & I'd have to trailer there for service as a last resort. My engine / 3FE knowledge is somewhat limited. Please help!

Symptoms:
- NOx output is x2 over CA smog limit
- high idle in P (11-1200), normal in gear (850)
- after actions taken (see below) I am now getting a power cut-out at 18-2000rpm.

Actions to-date:
- removed throttle body & thoroughly cleaned, ensured free movement of intake flap, re-installed w/new gasket
- lots of Sea Foam into the intake in attempt to clean out deposits in intake manifold
- cleaned TPS sensor & attempted to re-adjust to reduce idle (unsuccessful)
- attempted to adjust idle screw on top of throttle body (unsuccessful)
- replaced fuel filter

Possibly relevant info:
- the car does not get driven often, but I have done a lot of maintenance over the last 3 years & it's run smooth and reliable. starts every time without complaint.
- the high-idle in P has been around for several months & I can't recall exactly when it started
- I can rev the motor up past 3k when the car is cold w/out fuel cut-out. issue seems to consistently occur once the car is warmed up & the idle drops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom