Help identifying what these are (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up my first 80 series Cruiser. It's a 1991 FJ 80. It currently idles high, around 1200 - 1300 rpm. I believe it is possibly due to the part in the first pic that has a crack in the mounting plate. Not certain what this part is called or what it does. I have a service manual on order, but until it arrives I do not have a reference. Second photo is of three identical items. They look like maybe they are part of an EGR system but again it is only a guess. It appears that maybe at one time they had a vacumn line going to them ?Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.

WTF 1.JPG

WTF 2.JPG

The service manuals are available to download under the resources tab on the main menu.

The three things you are holding are VSVs ( vacuum servo valves, I think that's the right acronym).
Yes they should have vacuum lines going to them. They are not Identical they have different function's and need to be connected correctly.

If vacuum ports have been left open, this can cause idle problems as the engine is getting air that's not metered. It will often show up as a rough idle

It may be the original part cracked (EGR?) and the PO put a block off plate underneath it. This would be the shinier metal in the sandwich. There may be no hole in that plate. Then unplugged the VSV's. There may be a vacuum hose diagram on the bottom of the hood. Or as @mudgudgeon noted, the FSM is in the reference section.
Look for the other end of where these hoses went. The vacuum ports may be capped off or have BB's stuffed into the hoses. One of them may be in the lower left of your first picture - no hose or cap.

Some discussion and pictures in this 2016 thread.

It may be the original part cracked (EGR?) and the PO put a block off plate underneath it. This would be the shinier metal in the sandwich. There may be no hole in that plate. Then unplugged the VSV's. There may be a vacuum hose diagram on the bottom of the hood. Or as @mudgudgeon noted, the FSM is in the reference section.
Look for the other end of where these hoses went. The vacuum ports may be capped off or have BB's stuffed into the hoses. One of them may be in the lower left of your first picture - no hose or cap.
Re: Possible block off plate, I think EGR is on other side of the engine, In any case, this appears to be a very sloppy desmog job.

The cracked part is the idle speed control valve (22270-61010) I'm not sure why there is an extra spacer in there. It should be a just a gasket to the throttle body (22278-61010).
Also, be certain that there is some slack in the throttle cable at the idle position.
The black connector with the tie wrap holding it in place is for your throttle position sensor.

Last edited:
I appreciate the assistance. Given that the VSV's appear to have been disconnected from the vacuum hoses and according to the guy I bought it from, the EGR system was "deleted" by the owner prior to him, will removing the VSV's from the equation cause any issues ?

Does this answer your question?
1686655357861.png

Attachments

• 1994, Engine Control, Description (EG-204 to EG-206).pdf
    274.6 KB · Views: 38
I appreciate the assistance. Given that the VSV's appear to have been disconnected from the vacuum hoses and according to the guy I bought it from, the EGR system was "deleted" by the owner prior to him, will removing the VSV's from the equation cause any issues ?
If only the correct VSV's were capped off they shouldn't cause any issues unless a vacuum leak was introduced somewhere. I'd look at the components jonheld identifed as the most likely culprits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom