Help identifying something on y-pipe/cat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well that welding job cost more than I thought. $250 and that included putting on a new Slee O2 bung, the y crack, and 3-4 flanges that also had welds that failed. They also pressure tested it. This was going with a more reputable shop that has been in business for 20 years.

I tried to clean the pipe up the best I could but my angle grinder was just too big. The guy said the new O2 bung in particular looked kind of bad because it was so dirty in and around that area. Looking at the y, I am left wondering why it's not one continuous bead. There was another thread on here recently where the owner's welding job looked like a bigger or more layered weld. Hopefully it holds up.

Going to get this fitted in over the next day or two. Need to clean up the 2nd cat flanges and change the O2 sensor on the muffler pipe.

signal-2022-08-02-190633.jpeg
signal-2022-08-02-190618.jpeg

The welding worked out well. They didn't even warp the pipe. Everything fit without a lot of struggle. I can't say everything downstream of the O2 sensor is perfectly sealed because some of the flanges couldn't be cleaned up perfectly.

I can't drive it until I get the interior put back in later this weekend. However, it started up without the exhaust noise and the fuel trim is finally normal when in closed loop. I am optimistic no more P codes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The welding worked out well. They didn't even warp the pipe. Everything fit without a lot of struggle. I can't say everything downstream of the O2 sensor is perfectly sealed because some of the flanges couldn't be cleaned up perfectly.

I can't drive it until I get the interior put back in later this weekend. However, it started up without the exhaust noise and the fuel trim is finally normal when in closed loop. I am optimistic no more P codes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
If you don’t mind my asking, what kind of fuel trims are you seeing in closed loop and what device are you using to monitor them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom