Help Identify This Engine Noise Please (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let us know!
I'd check all gaps by the book.
Tell me how did you fix that heads #8 threads?
Did you spec head bolts for stretch and head for wrap?
Did you retest compression?

I really do not think you can get bucket out, without pulling cam. Cup lengthen is so much more than gap (see picture above). If you just pull cam retain/bearing caps without end retainer and pull up on cam, it could be damaging to guide channels, seat & seal of front retainer and bearing surface area.

WOW I miss read that. Spent all morning doing a write up you didn't need!

So it was spark plug that blew. I've alert out on spark plug. Spark plugs Alert Alert Alert!

I've rebuild able bank 2 heads w/~130K for sale now on CL and in mud. Just pulled one yesterday. Which you see picture from above.
For Sale - 2UZ-fe VVT engines / parts CO

Thanks for many of your posts. Helped me alot while searching and I am sure lots of others have found it useful. Your infos are very detailed and pics helps alot. Update later when I get a chance to work on the engine again.

Let us know!
I'd check all gaps by the book.
Tell me how did you fix that heads #8 threads?
Did you spec head bolts for stretch and head for wrap?
Did you retest compression?

I really do not think you can get bucket out, without pulling cam. Cup lengthen is so much more than gap (see picture above). If you just pull cam retain/bearing caps without end retainer and pull up on cam, it could be damaging to guide channels, seat & seal of front retainer and bearing surface area.

Got the specs for valve clearance and sequence of valves/ rotation. Head bolt are still good and head is not warped. Compressions are 200+ psi on all 8 cyclinders- including the valve shim issues.

I used Perma-col which is a steel wire wound into the shape of the thread so it sits snugly inside the thread and expand/ contract as needed. I didn't use the "heli-coil" which commonly refer to the threaded sleeve that could come out on occasion.

I plan to remove all the exhaust cam caps and just lift the end up high enough to pull out the valve shim cup. May have to pull the cam seal housing and lift the exhaust cam out, leaving the intake cam intact with the TB in place- your pics gave me the visual I needed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Got the specs for valve clearance and sequence of valves/ rotation. Head bolt are still good and head is not warped. Compressions are 200+ psi on all 8 cyclinders- including the valve shim issues.

I used Perma-col which is a steel wire wound into the shape of the thread so it sits snugly inside the thread and expand/ contract as needed. I didn't use the "heli-coil" which commonly refer to the threaded sleeve that could come out on occasion.

I plan to remove all the exhaust cam caps and just lift the end up high enough to pull out the valve shim cup. May have to pull the cam seal housing and lift the exhaust cam out, leaving the intake cam intact with the TB in place- your pics gave me the visual I needed. Thanks.
I never see 200 PSI. I get closer to 180lb +- compression. This is hot, throttle wide open, all plugs out and charger on battery. But I'm in the mile-high city which altitude may make the difference.

So glade you find my post useful.

Can't wait to see how that works out and what you find!

So I tried lifting exh cam to pull #8 bucket, with all journal caps off. Also had bolts out of end cap, but without removing end cap. I could not get cam high enough, no where near.

Thanks for the trial- I had same problem so I clamped the belt to 2 cam pulley, remove belt tensioner, remove end cap and lift up the exhaust cam.

Pulled the shim cap and replaced with correct height after measurement. Reinstall everything without removing all the front cover, etc.... Engine is smooth like butter except for the occasional tick/ tick from the leaking driver exh manifold- another project another day. Thanks for all the help.

Looking at a truck to purchase. 4.7l. 180k miles. No proof or knowledge of belt being done. Engine is making this noise. Gets a louder with increased RPM.

What does this sound like to you? Valve train needs adjustment? Exhaust leak? ???

Thanks for the help!!!

This noise could also be an improperly assembled exhaust camshaft scissor gear. The backlash in the cam gears can cause this slapping noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom