Help identify hub system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcadian

GOLD Star
Threads
Looking at an 81 FJ-40 that does not have locking hubs, I am posting a picture here. Can anyone tell me how this system works and could it be converted to warn manual hubs
hub.JPG

It is s drive slug.

Buy some warn locking hubs and replace them, piece of cake...

yup. rare that the truck made it that long with them. If you want to sell the drive flanges once removed, I would like them. I would trade for a set of warns but I dont have any.

Those front hubs are always locked in, so your front axles are turning even when you are in 2H. Your front diff is always working as between the front wheels, so it and your axles experience the wear that comes from being constantly engaged.

You should be able to convert pretty easily to Warns, Selectros, Aisins or anything else that fits.

that is OEM stock, all 40's came with fixed driveplates(what it has on it now)

Its just like driving around with your hubs locked, wanna go into 4 high........just pull the lever on the floor. The birfields and axle shafts are turning all the time.

Yes, you can swap to Aisan hubs off a mini or a fj60-2. Or Asco hubs, which were the optional OEM dealer installed locking hubs, starting in? at least 82, prolly more like 78-79. Or warns or others will work

My 82 fj40 hod the drive plates on it when I got it 3 years ago, did 132K with em on, I swaped to Aisans

20951286.jpg

I had a Pig with those, LOVED 'em. It wasnt driven a lot so I didnt worry about the axles always turning, and I liked not gettin' out to shift the hubs. Specially in the winter.

Sometimes I would love to have a set for the 60.

With a properly lubricated axel, is turning all the time such a bad thing? Your rear turns everywhere you go.

FLFJ40 said:
With a properly lubricated axel, is turning all the time such a bad thing? Your rear turns everywhere you go.

I don't think it's so bad. Seems like keeping the oil in there moving would lessen any chance of getting brown gears and squeaky spider washers, but locking hubs are supposed to make steering easier and save maybe an ounce of fuel a month.

it is not a bad thing.

I missed the 81+ thing.

I would love to have a drive plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom