Help ID some stuff I found rattling around in my flywheel cover. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Since I got my Jan '66 build FJ45 i've been hearing something that sounded like rocks rattling around in a tin can coming from around my transmission area. It wasn't speed dependent, or dependent on whether or not the clutch was in.

I removed the inspection cover, and found some stuff that had been rattling around. I found what appears to be a metal shim of some sort, and some pieces of what I suspect is (but hope isnt) clutch friction material.

Pretty sure the metal shim was the source of my rattle as it appears to have been bouncing of the pressure plate assembly and leaving marks on it.

I can't find this shim on any diagram. So I'm hoping someone knows what it is, and whether or not I should be concerned.

20181017_104608 (1).jpg

20181017_103623.jpg

Is this a normal amount of material for this clutch plate, or am I looking at a clutch soon? (its not slipping right now)

20181017_103740.jpg

The metal halves might be off the throw out bearing.
Am guessing that is what caused the nicks on the pressure plate housing.
Would think that made some notable noise.

The metal halves might be off the throw out bearing.
Am guessing that is what caused the nicks on the pressure plate housing.
Would think that made some notable noise.

As far as I can tell the TO bearing seems to be intact and in decent shape. So who knows?

It was definitely making a racket. I guess I'll just keep driving it and fix it if it breaks. Hopefully the noise is gone now though!

Okay. Well whatever that part is wasn't causing the noise i'm hearing.

Can anyone identify what might be causing this noise? Rattle can be heard best starting around 12 seconds in.

Can only guess to add to things to check. Are your front hubs turned in/locked and the front drive disengaged? My front drive shaft forward-most ujoint is starting to click when it rotates unloaded, needs to be replaced. Also, are your shafts clear of any debris? Sometimes I pick up dried grass from the hills that gets wrapped around the shaft and makes a little noise. Not much help. Your rig doesn’t make half the noise mine does.

Can only guess to add to things to check. Are your front hubs turned in/locked and the front drive disengaged? My front drive shaft forward-most ujoint is starting to click when it rotates unloaded, needs to be replaced. Also, are your shafts clear of any debris? Sometimes I pick up dried grass from the hills that gets wrapped around the shaft and makes a little noise. Not much help. Your rig doesn’t make half the noise mine does.

Hubs are disengaged when I'm on the road. Have recently greased all the zerks underneath so I would have caught any debris on them while I was doing that. U-joints seem in good shape with no play .

Your starter is installed in the bellhousing driving the flywheel. The two half-washer looking things look just like the part behind the pinion on my Nippondenso starter for '75. If your starter is disintegrating, I'd expect to find stuff in the inspection cover, and I'd expect it to be interfering with the clutch pressure plate. Your video probably recorded sounds originating from the half-functioning starter, the flywheel ring-gear rubbing the starter pinion-gear.

Your starter is installed in the bellhousing driving the flywheel. The two half-washer looking things look just like the part behind the pinion on my Nippondenso starter for '75. If your starter is disintegrating, I'd expect to find stuff in the inspection cover, and I'd expect it to be interfering with the clutch pressure plate. Your video probably recorded sounds originating from the half-functioning starter, the flywheel ring-gear rubbing the starter pinion-gear.

Awesome thanks that helps a lot. Looks like I'll be taking a closer look at my starter or just replacing it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom