Help diagnosing noise at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have a 97 LX450 with 230k that has been making a noise for a few months. It occurs generally in reverse and at idle (around 600rpm); if I give it gas to around 800 while still stationary the noise will cease. It does occur in drive as well when I’m at stop lights but it doesn’t seem to be nearly as often as when it’s in reverse. Could this be as simple as needing a transmission oil change or is it something more sinister?
Here is a link to a video documenting the noise:

Thanks!!

Check your transmission mount for starters. Also would suggest some one press the gas while you search for source of noise from underneath. Need to know if it is engine side or under transmission. Sometimes sliders vibrate on exhaust. Not sure if you have sliders.

I would look for two distinct things:
1) A hole in the exhaust. Look at the wye pipe where the two pipe come together first. Also look anywhere along the length of the exhaust. A change in sound like that shows a resonant frequency and could be a hole.

2) look for exhaust next to or very close to something else like sliders, brackets, broken brackets, where the exhaust crosses over the frame.

Hi guys, thank you for the tips! I never would have thought to look at the exhaust. Finally got around to checking underneath and it is the muffler. Sounds like it is clanging from inside, the baffles must be rusted out. Big relief I thought it was going to be something much worse when I first started hearing it.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom