Help. CV axle vibration after re-boot. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.
I searched the threads but I haven't seen anyone else with this specific problem. I had a torn inner boot on the passenger side CV (inner boot) so I ordered a replacement boot kit from the local Toyota Dealeship. Install went fine, new boots, clips, grease and clamps. The problem is that now I have a slight vibration between 60-70 mph. I'm wondering what could have caused this. The CV axles (toyota OEM) are fairly new with about 20k miles on them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Also, I do have a lift and diff drop. No vibrations prior to the boot repair.

Buck

Did you match mark all the cv parts before you took it apart to reboot and replaced everything in the same exact position?

I did not mark everything. I did mark the spline location on the inner race where the balls and cage sit, But thinking back, Im wondering if I was not diligent enough getting back exactly as it was removed. I did not take the outer boot off or disassemble any other parts but the inner boot.

Hard to get the bearings in the exact same cage position- and that may be part of it. But as long as you got the splined drive section and the cage right thats pretty good. With only 20k on the cv’s the bearings will prob wear-in a new position and the vibe will hopefully go away after a couple thousand miles. And you used the correct tube of grease for the cv you rebooted right? Inner and outer tulips require different grease volumes (described in the instructions or FSM)

Yes, good point. I made sure to use the correct grease. The boot kit from Toyota came with two boots, two tubes of grease, and all the clips and clamps. Thanks for the help, I do hope you're right about the bearings having to wear back into place. I didn't think about putting them in exactly as they came out...Always learning, mostly the hard way. Haha.

You had to reboot after only 20k miles?

Closest experience I had was when my upper ball joint failed and the entire spindle dislocated, pulling the inner CV joint apart. So I installed the SPC uppers and set to rebooting that CV because it only had 25K miles on it maybe. I never got the vibes out of it, with Toyota boot kit, and I ran it for more than a few thousand miles. Ended up installing my second replacement set of OEM shafts ($850~) and most of the 75 mph vibes went away. But it wasn't until I replaced my rear drive shaft that I finally got 98% of all my vibe problems sorted out.

Point is that you may or may not ever get them eliminated if all the parts didnt go back exactly together the way they were. At least from my experience. There was no way to know what went where in my situation because the balls rolled out onto the ground and I was lucky to even find them.

Oh, this thread is from November... how did you fare?

@HawkDriver The vibration has diminished significantly, so much that I don’t think about it much.
I feel like the vibration was a result of the bearings not going back into the cage the same but I can’t be sure. Besides that everything went back together the way it came apart.
I think the bearings needed to re-seat the way @abuck99 mentioned after some miles.
So far so good. Thanks for the contribution.

@DuckLN I’m not sure what caused my failure with the boot. I had just returned from Utah and had done some very mild off-roading and notice the torn boot and grease in the wheel well. I have a diff drop so again not sure what could have caused the tear.

Last edited:
@DuckLN I’m not sure what caused my failure with the boot. I had just returned from Utah and had done some very mild off-roading and notice the torn boot and grease in the wheel well. I have a diff drop so again not sure what could have caused the tear
Sometimes it's just bad luck

I rebooted a CV on my wife's FJ and forgot to mark the bearings on the inner side. Now there is a slight vibration at 40 to 50 mph (womp womp womp). If you put it in 4H it goes away and put it back in 2H for a bit and it comes back. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't match mark those pieces. Very annoying...maybe in another 100k they will wear in and it will go away LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom