HELP 3L engine manual and workshop mwnual for LJ79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all... i need help locating an engine manual and workshop manual for my LJ79(year 1996) station wagon with a 3L engine.

Checkd out the site mentioned under the manuals thread but the only available 3L manual Seems to be in French and there dont seem to be any workshop manuals listed for the LJ79.

any help would be great.

Cheers!

Your Landcruiser/Prado is a fairly unusual combo . I didnt even know such a vehicle existed. Most of the others are LJ78 or KZJ78.Same size but older with different engines.

Aussie ebay can help with a 3L manual. Dont be too annoyed if you dont get that one,they come up regularly.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Cress...yZ102572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For the body you may have to be satisfied with a 78 series manual from Max Ellery unless you can find the Toyota publication for a 79 series body/chassis manual.
The RJ/LJ70/78 Body/Chassis manual book number is RM183

Something like this would help with the body but you would probably be just as well off using the heavy duty manual.
It only goes up to 90 because Australia stopped getting the light duty 70s then.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Landc...yZ102572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Your Landcruiser/Prado is a fairly unusual combo . I didnt even know such a vehicle existed. Most of the others are LJ78 or KZJ78.Same size but older with different engines.

Aussie ebay can help with a 3L manual. Dont be too annoyed if you dont get that one,they come up regularly.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Cressida-Hilux-2L-3L-Engine-Repair-Manual_W0QQitemZ120191689527QQihZ002QQcategoryZ102572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For the body you may have to be satisfied with a 78 series manual from Max Ellery unless you can find the Toyota publication for a 79 series body/chassis manual.
The RJ/LJ70/78 Body/Chassis manual book number is RM183

Something like this would help with the body but you would probably be just as well off using the heavy duty manual.
It only goes up to 90 because Australia stopped getting the light duty 70s then.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Landc...yZ102572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for that rosco.I always thought this vehicle was sole in Australia and was quite common.looks the same as the LJ78 but with a different engine.

Thanks for that rosco.I always thought this vehicle was sole in Australia and was quite common.looks the same as the LJ78 but with a different engine.

I actually had a debate over the existence of this model with an American diesel owner and he said it didnt exist after 92 but I had an inkling it did:grinpimp:
As far as the body goes most of it will be the same as any Toyota Landcruiser/Hilux/Surf of similar years.

We get a LOT of Hilux dual cabs with this engine and solid axle until 97.
It does the same job as the LJ78/9 but with a more versatile load carrying for tradesman ect.

Yours is a kind of variety that pops up in Mongolia, SE Asia and of course India.
In Europe Oz and Japan ,they were getting the Prado KZJ90 series and had been using the 1KZ engine since the early 90s

I actually had a debate over the existence of this model with an American diesel owner and he said it didnt exist after 92 but I had an inkling it did:grinpimp:
As far as the body goes most of it will be the same as any Toyota Landcruiser/Hilux/Surf of similar years.

We get a LOT of Hilux dual cabs with this engine and solid axle until 97.
It does the same job as the LJ78/9 but with a more versatile load carrying for tradesman ect.

Yours is a kind of variety that pops up in Mongolia, SE Asia and of course India.
In Europe Oz and Japan ,they were getting the Prado KZJ90 series and had been using the 1KZ engine since the early 90s

Hi Rosco....Actually these cars are not sold in India as well.There were just a few of the which were imported in by the red cross for their use.Was lucky enough to getone of them when they were sold off cause they were in great shape.

One of my relatives had a similar looking LJ78 with the 2LT and have seen a few others around but thats it.

Thought they were soldin Aus cause one of my friends owned one when he studied there.

Looking to buy an 80 series post 96 spec.But would love to hang on to this one as well cause they are just such great cars.I used to own a Land Rover Defender and after that this thing is just amazing in all aspects.

Cheers!:cheers:

Hi there....where can i find "REPAIR MANUAL FOR CHASSIS AND BODY" for LJ79 model? help

Toyota land Cruiser LJ79 model with 3L engines

hi
This model is very common in SE Asia, and I have 2 of these, manufacture date is 1990 & 1991. I have 1 running perfectly, and the other now under overhaul. I recently have had the radiator renewed with new cooling tubes and fins, the engine head skimmed, all 8 valve guides and water jackets, timing belt, timing gear, water pump, air cond out-pipe, belting tensioner, rear left door with glass, the rear end side curve glass panel replaced, the cam shaft and the block itself polished, all valves reassembled and re-set.
The next is to bore 1 of the 4 cylinder chambers and fit with a new liner. All 4 pistons assembly are just fine except to replace the piston rings.
these car models are so common here that most mechanics and parts dealers do not require manuals to work on it. They know it like the front and back of their palms.
If you still need help or parts, please contact me.

Hi all... i need help locating an engine manual and workshop manual for my LJ79(year 1996) station wagon with a 3L engine.

Checkd out the site mentioned under the manuals thread but the only available 3L manual Seems to be in French and there dont seem to be any workshop manuals listed for the LJ79.

any help would be great.

Cheers!
Hello everyone I've been a Cruiser owner on and off for many years.

I've recently purchased an LJ79 with a 3L in fiji.
The plate under the hood is saying it's a
J79RV-mn But that seems to be coming up as a shorty from what I can find??

Few questions
When buying A timeing kit, If I get one that suits the year of the vehicle and the engine, will it work?

Also accelerator cabel for this, who knows where I can purchase one. To suit 3L LJ79, without proper recorded information on the vehicle its hard to know..

Lj79 is a right hand drive model with a 3L motor. Most of them had a g52 box with a split case behind it. Probably to be cheaper version. Iven upholstery trim and accessories were limited. 4.88 ratio diffs.
Many were sold in europe.

Hello everyone I've been a Cruiser owner on and off for many years.

I've recently purchased an LJ79 with a 3L in fiji.
The plate under the hood is saying it's a
J79RV-mn But that seems to be coming up as a shorty from what I can find??

Few questions
When buying A timeing kit, If I get one that suits the year of the vehicle and the engine, will it work?

Also accelerator cabel for this, who knows where I can purchase one. To suit 3L LJ79, without proper recorded information on the vehicle its hard to know..

Hello there!

My LJ79 is also RV-MN, I lookup all my parts on the following online catalogue then search for the part required using the correct part number.

IMG_20230602_190607.jpg

Last edited:
The second digit in the model code refers to wheelbase. In the 70-series, 70, 71 and 72 are SWB, 73 and 74 are MWB, 75 (through 1998) is LWB pickup or troop carrier, and 77, 78 and 79 (through 1998) are LWB 4-door wagons. In 1999 some of the model designations changed: 75 was dropped, 78 became the troop carrier, 79 became the pickup, and 76 was added as the LWZB 4-door wagon. The SWB and MWB designations remained the same.

Thanks for that information, it's more the RV-MN I'm trying to work out.
My situation is in the search of parts in trying to workout if I search a similar model will the parts match.
At the moment I'm looking for an accelerator cabel, and all my good leads have come to a dead end..

My situation is in the search of parts in trying to workout if I search a similar model will the parts match.
At the moment I'm looking for an accelerator cabel, and all my good leads have come to a dead end..
I am not 100% sure on these, but I believe your model code means the following:
R: Right hand drive
V: Van or light truck (could also mean wagon, some JDM 80-series list as "Van")
M: 5-speed transmission
N: GX or LX trim level

I would not rely on the model codes for finding parts, rather use the frame number stamped on the data card on the firewall and the frame inside the front right wheel well.

Thanks for the information, is your LJ79 RV-MN a 4 door or 2 door??

It's a LWB 5-door model.

As I explained to you before, you should look for parts using the part number and not the vehicle model, that way you will be sure it will fit. For example the accelerator cable you need is part number 78180-60130 , if you look up that number you will find many options online.

It's a LWB 5-door model.

As I explained to you before, you should look for parts using the part number and not the vehicle model, that way you will be sure it will fit. For example the accelerator cable you need is part number 78180-60130 , if you look up that number you will find many options online.
I really appreciate your reply, I did find I had to use the model number to work out the part number..

The part number you have given for the accelerator cable is what I found also, but availability of that part isn't something I'm finding, found one on a site Shopee in Malaysia and that seems dodgie. Ebay, Amazon, online I'm having no luck... and I'm pretty good at searching..
I'll keep on it, may result to a universal cabel..

Thanks

I really appreciate your reply, I did find I had to use the model number to work out the part number..

The part number you have given for the accelerator cable is what I found also, but availability of that part isn't something I'm finding, found one on a site Shopee in Malaysia and that seems dodgie. Ebay, Amazon, online I'm having no luck... and I'm pretty good at searching..
I'll keep on it, may result to a universal cabel..

Thanks

Amayama seem to have it, used this site before with no issues.

Screenshot_2023-06-04-02-43-05-987_com.android.chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom