HELP! 1993 HDJ80: low power > DIED. Restarted > everything worked fine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Chasing a mystery problem:

I started the truck like normal. It started immediately as normal. As I went to accelerate, power was extremely low and quickly descending until the truck just died (Maybe 10 second down the road). The dash lit up as if I stalled it. (This has never happened before)

I restarted the truck and everything seemed to run and work normally from then on... 🤔

I couldn’t tell if this was an electrical issue, fuel issue.... no idea.

I installed 2 new odyssey batteries a couple weeks ago. No problems. Wondering if the alternator needs replaced?

any ideas? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Firstly check your connections at batteries. These units like it tight.
Your dash lighting up might have been a sign.

Sounds more like a fuel issue, You started with enough fuel in the pump to get it going, then a big bubble came along in the fuel lines and it died.
Alternators dont make diesel stall , neither do bad batteries. These engines do not need electricity to keep running once the solenoid is open.

Dash lit up? You mean like normal when the engine stops? Did the truck stall completely or not?

The shutdown solenoid on the injection pump needs power, but the voltage range on that seems pretty wide. I'd still check voltage there first and then move on to the fuel system.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a fuel issue, You started with enough fuel in the pump to get it going, then a big bubble came along in the fuel lines and it died.
Alternators dont make diesel stall , neither do bad batteries. These engines do not need electricity to keep running once the solenoid is open.

Dash lit up? You mean like normal when the engine stops? Did the truck stall completely or not?
Dash kit like as if stalled the truck. Every light on the dash came on... then I immediately restarted the truck and everything was fine

The odd part to me was how it slowly died... I was able to reverse out of my driveway with everything feeling fine (granted, I just roll backwards). One I started to pull away forwards: low low power (is thought the turbo wasn’t spooling at first)... but then power for lower and lower until it died about 10 seconds later.

I would imagine an electrical issue would kill the truck immediately but I could be wrong.

I have had something similar happen a few time,

Usually happened when cruising along (once about 1 hr after fueling up, once right after leaving the gas station, and once trying to climb a steep hill that I had stopped on) and then the truck starts losing steam. Pressing the "gas" just seems to hasten the slow death or do nothing. Once the truck has lost all it's steam and died all my dash lights would also turn on. After giving it a minute on the side of the road I could usually get it to start back up, but not as easy as usual and there would be some white smoke.

I started running Diesel Kleen after the last time and haven't had it repeat (so far). Not sure if this is the problem solver....

My shot gun guesses, in no paticular order, that I was going to check if it returns are:
Maybe my fuel system has a leak, and it is sucking air under the right conditions?
Never drained my fuel tank, but maybe there is some crud built up and it blocks the fuel take up. Or maybe water build up?
Injector pump or injectors could be too dirty (too dirty for Diesel Kleen)?
Electrical fault somewhere, maybe there is enough inertia in the system to keep it running for a little before it dies?

I have had something similar happen a few time,

Usually happened when cruising along (once about 1 hr after fueling up, once right after leaving the gas station, and once trying to climb a steep hill that I had stopped on) and then the truck starts losing steam. Pressing the "gas" just seems to hasten the slow death or do nothing. Once the truck has lost all it's steam and died all my dash lights would also turn on. After giving it a minute on the side of the road I could usually get it to start back up, but not as easy as usual and there would be some white smoke.

I started running Diesel Kleen after the last time and haven't had it repeat (so far). Not sure if this is the problem solver....

My shot gun guesses, in no paticular order, that I was going to check if it returns are:
Maybe my fuel system has a leak, and it is sucking air under the right conditions?
Never drained my fuel tank, but maybe there is some crud built up and it blocks the fuel take up. Or maybe water build up?
Injector pump or injectors could be too dirty (too dirty for Diesel Kleen)?
Electrical fault somewhere, maybe there is enough inertia in the system to keep it running for a little before it dies?
Yes this sounds like my same issue....

just happened again and feels like a fuel related issue. At first I thought my turbo was giving out, but if I keep it running, it eventually springs back to life and runs like normal.

I’ll try running some proper diesel injector cleaner.

Alright... ran through a cam of diesel purge and added a can of the liquidity additive to the tank.... we shall see what happens.

I checked my secondary fuel filter and no dirt or serious gunk

If it was an electrical issue , it would have shut down immediately. And it wouldn't have started again.

If it was an electrical issue , it would have shut down immediately. And it wouldn't have started again.
Agreed. My brother recently drove a 3L-powered Hilux 250 miles with a dead alternator. It ran fine even though the battery eventually got down to 3.4 volts. Based on that I'm guessing fuel shutoff solenoids hardly draw any power!

I recently had a similar experience where the positive battery terminals on my HDJ81 loosened while driving. Eventually the charge light came on, but I had no lack of engine power whatsoever and probably could have driven for several more hours.

My brother recently drove a 3L-powered Hilux 250 miles with a dead alternator
I got picked up in dual cab hilux with a 3L by a friend today. I was amazed how comfortable it was.

yes Im thinking the same now. Definitely a fueling issue.
I would start by checking around the filter, like remove and replace the filter ,doesn't have to be a new one, just make sure its on properly And the hoses from the filter to injection pump need to be checked for split ends and bad clamps..

the more I dig in and research, the more I believe it’s some air getting into the injection pump.
im planning to reclamation the hoses and see if I can sort that out.
also looking into adding a fuel pump and another filter near the tank to keep everything pressurized and help the IP with all of the added filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom