Help! 1964 FJ40 Southern Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Round 2. Pulled the driver's side fender off to get the '64 steering box out of the frame. The fender did not come off easily, as the inner skirt was FOLDED behind the cowl!:eek::eek:
CIMG0816.jpg
CIMG0817.jpg

One of the four bolts on the frame support of the fender broke off, which is not unusual. With the fender off, it was a lot easier to see the source of the clutch issue that made Zack call me in the first place.

Some hack couldn't take the time to fab a bracket on the BH for the slave cylinder, so with slightly less time and effort...THEY WELDED ONE TO THE FRAME!!:bang: Needless to say, clutch engagement varied quite a bit depending on the torque load.:doh: I will be fabbing up a bracket on the BH before this is over.

Also found one of the sources of the exhaust leak: rear manifold bolt is backed out about an eighth inch from being snug.
CIMG0820.jpg
CIMG0813.JPG

I should have read the whole thread before replying and suggesting Marks Offroad! Glad you were already hooked up with The Man.. the truck looks nice! Keep us posted.

I promised Zack I would post a pic of the new master cylinder installed. It also serves to show how nice and compact the adapter is.
CIMG0832.jpg

Zack,

Great truck! I really like the early corrugated hardtop. Is red the original color?

You are in excellent hands with Mark. He did an incredible job on every mechanical aspect of my 1966 FJ45. Mark has an engineer's approach to finding a combination of originality, reliability and fabrication.

I am looking forward to seeing what's next!

Cheers,
FJ45Dude

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Mark!

FJ45Dude- I believe the original color is red with a cheap newer job on the exterior. The interior color seems to be the untouched original red accompanied by a bit of rust.

Got into the engine yesterday. Pulled the air cleaner off to get at the dizzy and lookie what I found:
CIMG0843.jpg

The vacuum T on the intake behind the carburetor had an open port on it!

So, of course I had to stop what I was doing, start up the engine and confirm that it was in fact a vacuum leak. Motor ran noticeably better with my finger over the hole. So when I was done changing plugs and wires, I put a rubber cap on it and readjusted the carb.

I think Zack can postpone changing his engine for quite a while.;)

Mark A.

After bleeding the brakes, the pedal felt excessively low. As I usually do with an unknown quantity, I told Zack that an adjustment would start with pulling off the drums to see exactly WHAT I was going to try and adjust.:hmm:

Both front drums were FROZEN to the hub housings, necessitating pulling the hub housings off to separate them. Passenger side had ZERO grease left in it. Nothing but gear oil. Repack.

Luck of the draw I picked the passenger rear to do next. It had more grease than the front!
CIMG0848.jpg

So jealous I live so far away from Mark. He could have turned my 2.5 year process into a couple of weeks!

Looks great!

Thanks again for the update, Mark.

dx379- I just recently moved out from Colorado to Central Cal about a year ago...I consider myself pretty lucky with my proximity to Mark's shop!

Should be done with the rear axle tomorrow. In the meantime, I also discovered that a previous 'mechanic' lost their patience with the frozen brake drum syndrome and resorted to torching the backing plate!:eek:
CIMG0859.jpg

@65swb45

Just bumping 'cuz that last pic really should go on the 'Wall of Shame' ...

Unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom