Hello, I am new to the area... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@OTRAMM is highly regarded here, but he is out in bealton VA.

Sounds like you have a parasitic drain somewhere. I know in my truck I have to remove the face plate of my radio when I park it otherwise it will die in a couple days as well, as it is wired to alway be on even if the key is off.
Thanks for the resource and the idea. Yes. I suspect something like that but the wiring is so suspect I'd like to have it examined and go forward with restoration. I'll try contacting @OTRAMM. I don't mind 47 miles to get it to a good person familiar with 330 year old Land Cruisers.

i recently saw ryan say he's not accepting new clients w/ trucks older than '95? might want to check on that.

i've also heard many recommendations for Home | AYLESTOCK AUTOMOTIVE - https://www.aylestockautomotive.com/. also not particularly close to DC

chasing parasitic draws is not all that hard on trucks of our vintage. nor is testing the battery or alternator. all the best chasing this down.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm in Lorton, VA. Hope to see that beauty on the road!
Doug

It’s on my list of things to do. I haven’t pulled the radio to see how it is wired yet. What source do folks typically use?
Not exactly sure about your truck and what was stock, but radios typically have TWO +12v wires; one wired to +12v battery (constant) and one wired to +12v switched (accessory). the constant connection is just for maintaining settings, presets, etc and is a very low draw. the other powers the internal amp and needs to be wired to your accessory (ignition switch position 2) side.

i don't have a 60-series EWD (wiring diagram) but it is probably not far off from my '95. the stock radio gets constant/battery power from the DOME fuse. ACC switched power comes from the CIG fuse. if you don't have any factory wires left to use, go find the comparable fuses in your truck and you can re-create how toyota did it

Last edited:
Not exactly sure about your truck and what was stock, but radios typically have TWO +12v wires; one wired to +12v battery (constant) and one wired to +12v switched (accessory). the constant connection is just for maintaining settings, presets, etc and is a very low draw. the other powers the internal amp and needs to be wired to your accessory (ignition switch position 2) side.

i don't have a 60-series EWD (wiring diagram) but it is probably not far off from my '95. the stock radio gets constant/battery power from the DOME fuse. ACC switched power comes from the CIG fuse. if you don't have any factory wires left to use, go find the comparable fuses in your truck and you can re-create how toyota did it
I’ll have to look. Assume it’s different as it’s a 24v truck 🤔

i recently saw ryan say he's not accepting new clients w/ trucks older than '95? might want to check on that.

i've also heard many recommendations for Home | AYLESTOCK AUTOMOTIVE - https://www.aylestockautomotive.com/. also not particularly close to DC

chasing parasitic draws is not all that hard on trucks of our vintage. nor is testing the battery or alternator. all the best chasing this down.
Thanks. I was not allowed to contact OTRAM I think because I am new to the forum. Sounds like he is not taking new customers. I will try Aylestock. Thanks for the tips. I did replace the battery and installed a kill switch so I am functioning. This weekend I will try to use an altimeter I picked up to check circuits for draws. If anyone has the name of a mechanic familiar with Land Cruisers, I'd love to idnetify the problem an have new circuits installed. Thanks.

Does anyone know the address for Aylestock Automotive in Lovetsville? I am supposed to drop off my '97 today, and just realized the actual address is not on his website. Peter is out of town this morning, so no luck getting in touch with him yet.

Hoping someone on this thread may have been out there for work.

Thanks

"Aylestock Automotive is a by appointment only vehicle outfitter and the #1 destination for your 4x4 and overlanding needs! All makes and models welcome."

I'm guessing they are the #2 destination. Cause you need to find the address first :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom