Hello from Chamblee! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, wanted to introduce myself & ask for some advice. My name is Mark & our since new family owned 98 Tacoma TRD V6 with 131K miles took a hit neat 285 & MLK Jr on 9/25 and due to frame damage State Farm wants to total it. This truck lived in Albuquerque NM between delivery to August ‘23 and & has zero rust & we have all, & I mean all records since new. In addition, timimg belt/water pump were replaced by Toyo-Masters - Albuquerque in August shortly before I drove it to ATL. This truck has has kid glove treatment since day one. State Farm has agreed to move up the amount they are willing to pay (mid 15K) however I asked them how much they would take off the settlement offer if I take the salvage & they are being very reasonable. I think I can find a place to store it for at least 30 days & im wondering if selling it for parts makes any sense. I mean the engine & transmission are in excellent condition, have low miles, are up to snuff maintenance wise and neither leak a drop of oil. Would my doimg this versus allowing State Farm sell what’s left for salvage make sense? Here are a few pics before the accident & here are a few from September 25. Anyhow, that’s it…I appreciate any feedback & feel free to reach out for more pics. The truck is at Budget Auto Paintino on Buford Highway. Thanks again & have an excellent Friday/weekend.

IMG_6244.jpeg

IMG_6259.jpeg

IMG_6679.jpeg

IMG_6688.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

Usaa wanted to total my 2000 LC for a dented upper hatch, broken tail light and slightly damaged tailgate. Good luck. I told USAA to pound sand and am fixing it myself and dropping my collision insurance.

Yours looks pretty wrecked compared to mine. Consider the amount of work and time it will take you to part it and then you will have to haul away the carcass to scrap.

It took me a year to part a 60. I would only do it again if there were major parts I wanted for my builds. :beer:

Good morning & thanks for your reply. Yeah, I don’t have mechanical ability to do anything other than strip off some parts. I don’t have the tools/shop or know how to take the engine out myself - that said I’m about to pull the trigger on a 01 4 door Prerunner and would love to at least swap tires along with a few other items. Maybe Bring a Trailer would allow me to list and there are lots of good parts to be had & the engine/trans have gotta be worth some $. Thanks again for the reach out & enjoy your Friday!

I don't think BaT will auction wrecked vehicles. Might be wrong, but I thought it was for complete drivable vehicles.

Anyway, if you don't have the ability or a place to work on it, as bad as I hate to say it, probably better off to let it go. That said, you need to weigh what SF is willing to give you vs what you might be able to sell it for as a wreck.

Main thing that folks would want to know will be: Does it still start and will it drive. Hard to tell if it even busted the radiator, but if not and it will still drive, then someone might be willing to buy it as is and fix it. Its hard to tell from pictures, but it looks like mostly superficial sheet metal damage. The frame punched thru the bumper cover, and it would need a new core support, new hood, fender, headlight, and a few other bits on the front. But if the frame damage is limited to that front horn only, then it would likely be a very rebuildable rig. Did any of the airbags deploy?

All these are questions that could be asked.

But for you and if you don't have the time or means, or unless SF is just offering you a low-ball buy-out, then you would probably be best to just let it go.

Tough break, looks like a clean truck.

It is my understanding that there is an active 4Runner/Tacoma community in the metro area which are not on 'mud nor members of TLCA. Therefore, looking into what forums / clubs / groups that they are utilizing might help you make connections into that community too.

Good luck. Looks like it was a very solid truck, so making more connections could be productive to you.

I don't think BaT will auction wrecked vehicles. Might be wrong, but I thought it was for complete drivable vehicles.

Anyway, if you don't have the ability or a place to work on it, as bad as I hate to say it, probably better off to let it go. That said, you need to weigh what SF is willing to give you vs what you might be able to sell it for as a wreck.

Main thing that folks would want to know will be: Does it still start and will it drive. Hard to tell if it even busted the radiator, but if not and it will still drive, then someone might be willing to buy it as is and fix it. Its hard to tell from pictures, but it looks like mostly superficial sheet metal damage. The frame punched thru the bumper cover, and it would need a new core support, new hood, fender, headlight, and a few other bits on the front. But if the frame damage is limited to that front horn only, then it would likely be a very rebuildable rig. Did any of the airbags deploy?

But for you and if you don't have the time or means, or unless SF is just offering you a low-ball buy-out, then you would probably be best to just let it go.

Hi, thanks & yes, a tough break no doubt & I’m pretty sure you’re right about BaT. The air bags did not deploy & it will start + I drove it a few feet to help the tow guy but the radiator is leaking so I made that super quick. In other news I might have gotten something worked out as an old friend has some space in a barn/workshop that’s within a hour from where we live & he’s ok with me keeping it there as long as needed. State Farm they will deduct 1,500‘ish off the total settlement check & give me the truck w/a salvage title which I’m thinking I’ll take them up on as AAA said that they will tow it there (thankfully we have their top tier deal) w/o any additional costs. Thanks for your feedback & I’ll give an update down the road some. Thanks again for your feedback & have an excellent weekend.

It is my understanding that there is an active 4Runner/Tacoma community in the metro area which are not on 'mud nor members of TLCA. Therefore, looking into what forums / clubs / groups that they are utilizing might help you make connections into that community too.

Good luck. Looks like it was a very solid truck, so making more connections could be productive to you.
Thanks & yes such a solid SR5 that has been in our family since new. If you can view my reply to jynx I’m thinking we’re going to accept SF’s settlement, take the salvage to a nice storage spot & regroup. I have a deal worked out with someone for a 01 PreRunner that’s got gobs of miles but seems like a truck we can work with. Thanks again for your response & enjoy your Saturday.
ps - heres a pic of the 01. Y’all take care.

IMG_7618.jpeg