Hella 4000s in ARB Bull Bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
Well I received some Hella 4000s as a fine Christmas present only to find they don't fit very well into the ARB on my 80. So last night Wildyoats and I (mainly him) did a little fab work and install.

After debating about building a light bar that would bolt on to the existing tabs and the license plate bracket we decided to grind and weld some shock tabs on bar. The plan was to have the center light sit out a bit further but they ended up pretty much the same. Center light is a pencil beam. Outer lights are the eurobeam with the city light. Went out last night and drove around the sticks a very good upgrade. Of course now the 2nd battery has climbed to the top of my mod list.
IMG_0694 (Small).jpg
IMG_0695 (Small).jpg
IMG_0696 (Small).jpg

Looks good. I hardly ever use mine though, the guy in front of me always starts moaning.

TJK

Kaderabek said:
Looks good. I hardly ever use mine though, the guy in front of me always starts moaning.

TJK

There is a term they use in baja called 'nerfing.' When they start moaning about the lights give them a gentle nudge and go around. Or just stop being such a sheep and lead :flipoff2:

They look like Hella Dave!

Are you concerned about air flow into the radiator?

Let's go test them some night. I need to get mine off the pavement.

Troy

Baa.

Bah.

Going around isn't usually an option around here. I'm lucky most times to just fit my 80 on the trail.

You're going to love those lights though. As Frank Sinatra says, "Night and day...." :D

TJK

Dave, I think you are going to find when the outside temps get above 85 degrees, three lights will greatly diminish your airflow for both cooling and AC. I had to rearrange the height on the ones on Kaderabek's truck a couple times before I resolved it, with only the two lights.

They've been "rearranged" a time or two since. Who puts all those tree limbs out in the woods...? ;p

TJK

Kaderabek said:
They've been "rearranged" a time or two since. Who puts all those tree limbs out in the woods...? ;p

TJK

I cannot imagine shining three of those onto the guy in front of you ....you'd probably get ticketed for impersonating a nuclear explosion.:eek:

All i'm gonna say is that Pencil Beam rocks. I will be able to save some money now by going to Dave's and plopping my face in front of that pencil beam instead of hitting the tanning booth. Not to push Hella, but for the money, they are great.

Sorry for driving your truck through the manure patch bro. :D

elmariachi said:
Dave, I think you are going to find when the outside temps get above 85 degrees, three lights will greatly diminish your airflow for both cooling and AC. I had to rearrange the height on the ones on Kaderabek's truck a couple times before I resolved it, with only the two lights.

Jim,

You know I was a bit concerned about it. Obviously January is not the best time to judge airflow. I'm sure I'll update this thread come May or June with new info. Luckily I only drive about 2miles to work and most of my slow 4wheeling will be in the 40. Hopefully by mounting them foward I'll get enough air flow to run cool. The majority use of this truck will be on faster dirt roads in the 45 - 60range. Not pushing the motor too hard. But enough flow to keep it cool. I can always put them on the 40 and get some smaller lights later.
dmc

Mount your ARB fridge/freezer up there, set it on low and prop the lid open. :D

TJK

I also thought about a center-mounted pencil beam for night time driving, with two floods ("Euros") on either side, in the normal positions. Actually, what I was thinking about was using ARB's clamp-on bracket in the middle of the bar to mount the light, but either have the light folded out of the way normally, or removed entirely. That way I could swap it between trucks as well as aim it for specific uses when I actually did use it.

I do like the looks of them. I too would be concerned about radiator flow

Ok dude, I have come up with a solution if the air flow becomes an issue.

We will go to Home Depot and get some HVAC tubing and whip you up some Air Intake Ports like these !!! :bounce: :flipoff2:
airintake.jpg

nice.

airflow might be a problem. I noticed a bit of a problem with my 2 big Lightforce 240s.

Doug,

What exactly do you mean by a 'bit' of a problem? I've seen the lightforce and I can't imagine I'm any more restrictive than they are. I don't drive very hard at all. A noticable heat increase I'm not too concerned about. if i have to stop every 30mins to let the motor cool then I may need to think of other options.
dmc

Could you mount the outer 2 lower? Like on the fairlead mount if airflow is a problem?

dmc said:
Doug,

What exactly do you mean by a 'bit' of a problem? at all. A noticable heat increase I'm not too concerned about. if i have to stop every 30mins to let the motor cool then I may need to think of other options.
dmc

Dave,

When I first mounted the dual Hella 4000s, they knocked anough air off the condensor that the AC wouldn't chill, even at road speed. At the same time I noticed in heavy traffic that the temp was a little higher than normal.....not good in Texas. So I raised the lights with spacers and moved the Warn control box out of the way and it solved both.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom