Hei distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,posting from the land of oz,what a great forum this is ,been checking it out for a couple of weeks now,I have a 84 fj60 thats just been rebuilt,3f motor,down here that model has a pionts distributor,been reading up on the hei conversion,sounds good,ive just sourced one in oz and plan on installing it the next couple of weeks,does anyone know if I can hook up the vacum line that goes to the original dizzy on the hei,original dizzy has only one vacum line,sounds like the usa ones have two,mine comes off the manifold below the carby,right next to the idle mixture screw,I see there has been some debate on the vacum lines concerning these distributors,will post phots of cruiser next few days,she"s looken good,two tone colours,red top gold bottom.

regards Dave

I asked the same question on another thread and Jim C. chimed in to say the vac. advance on the stock carb would work fine. I assume that would be the one off the manifold. The DUI instructions say the port has to be on the side of the carb but acc. to Jim, it doesn't.

So I guess the secondary outer diaphram on the stock one that advances it for high altitude does not have a place on the HEI. Guess it is not really important.

I have the same vehicle and only have the one vacuum hooked up to my DUI. Truck runs very strong. I am running a Holley at the present time but plan to go back to stock. I live in Indy so the high altitude is not an issue for me. Hopefully Jim C can chime in here and help out.

hei dizzy

Hey thanks guys,toyman so your vac line comes off the manifold right next to the mixture screw? looks like I wont have any problems with this changeover if so.

My holley carb has a port on the side of the carb above the manifold and that is where mine is connected now. Let us know how it comes out hooking it up to the manifold vacuum. When I go back to stock, will need to do the same thing.

hei dizzy

Yeah no problems i"ll let you know,wont be getting dizzy until next week,boy I had to do some phoning around down here to find one,parts are readily available but the dizzys are hard to come by,would still like to here from someone that has one hooked up off the port im talking about though,if not we"ll just give it a go on that one and see how it goes.

Couple of odds-n-ends kinda notes:

Smogged 2F distributor has two vac lines. Inner is manifold vacuum max is 8 psi outer HAC (high altitude compensation) max is 4 psi. The correct inner line will have the widget vacuum control switch in line (blue) VTV or whatever that thing is called.

If running an HEI be sure the interface gear on the bottom of the distributor shaft is metric and made for the Toyota cam shaft.

The *best* way in my opinion is to use an HEI curved for de-smogged vacuum advance. There will be one port on the distributor.

A smogged 2F has *manifold* vacuum. A de-smogged carb has *ported* vacuum.

Ported vacuum pulls vacuum between the card and the manifold where manifold vacuum pulls vacuum above the carb between the carb and the air cleaner. (Anybody have a better explanation ?)

goldchaser, you should be ummm, golden.

Best explanation I can give from a layman.

Cheers,
Cahil

toyman317 said:
I asked the same question on another thread and Jim C. chimed in to say the vac. advance on the stock carb would work fine. I assume that would be the one off the manifold. The DUI instructions say the port has to be on the side of the carb but acc. to Jim, it doesn't.
AArrgh! Please don't misquote ME! Feel free to misquote the other dumb sh1t that is posted on the internet, but leave me out of it. :flipoff2:

Manifold vacuum comes from the manifold. :doh:

Ported vacuum comes from the carb. Specifically, it is a vacuum port that is drilled into the throttle body just above the idling throttle blade. This gives no vacuum at idle and strong vacuum just above idle. On a Cruiser carb this is one of the fittings down beside the idle mix screw. See the emissions service manual for your year of carb. The ported vacuum fitting for distributor advance will often be labeled "advancer" or "EGR".

cahilc said:
Smogged 2F distributor has two vac lines. Inner is manifold vacuum max is 8 psi outer HAC (high altitude compensation) max is 4 psi. The correct inner line will have the widget vacuum control switch in line (blue) VTV or whatever that thing is called.
Some 2F smog distributors have 2 lines. Of those, some are vac advance & retard, some are dual vac advance. Don't know what 8PSI refers to? :confused:

A smogged 2F has *manifold* vacuum. A de-smogged carb has *ported* vacuum.
Most USA 2F carbs have one or more ported vac fittings that can be used for a vac advance distributor. 1969-1974 USA carbs generally do not have a ported vacuum fitting, though it is easily added during a desmog rebuild.

Ported vacuum pulls vacuum between the card and the manifold where manifold vacuum pulls vacuum above the carb between the carb and the air cleaner. (Anybody have a better explanation ?)
I got a better explanation.
Manifold vacuum is from the manifold. It is full time engine vacuum.
Ported vacuum comes from the carb. A port is drilled into the throttle body just above the idleing throttle plate. At idle there is no vacuum signal, above idle there is strong vacuum.

Ahhh !!!

Thanks bunches for the corrections & clarifications Jim C !!!

:beer:

Cahil

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman317
Here is a question regarding the vacuum source for the DUI. Supposedly the DUI requires vacuum from a port on the side of the carb. Right now that is not a problem with the Holley that came with my 60. However I would like to go back to the stock carb and I don't see a vacuum port on the side of the carb. There are many other ports lower down at the base of the carb but not higher up like the Holley. Will the DUI work with my 84 Aisen carb with regard to the vacuum requirements?

Yes, use the vacuum advance port. It's called out in the FSM vac diagrams.
"Cruiser madness takes a toll. Please have exact change."

Jim, here is what you wrote in the other thread and I can see where I misquoted you. It is not the vacuum off the manifold. It is the one off the throttle body area of the carb. Sorry about that. Is there any difference between the "vacuum advance port" on the original carb and the port on my Holley that is halfway up the side of the carb? The port on the Holley has no vacuum at idle but gets stronger above idle. If they are functionally the same , why do the DUI instructions (Performance Distributors) say it has to be a port on the side of the carb above the throttle body? Again, sorry if I misquoted what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

hei dizzy

Thanks for the input fellas,jim or anyone else can you tell me what the hei dizzy vacum is actually for,I mean originally is it advance,retard or whatever,I"m hoping the original toyo one is the same,eg:both being advance,it would be alot easier for me to buy one allready converted in the states but I added up the costs and by the time I got it to oz it would cost alot of money,I have a local one sourced for $120 bucks,I can spin a few wrenches but ive never had much to do with distributors,im gonna change the gear over so its running the toyo gears,sounds as though alot of blokes have swapped them over themselves and been quite happy with the results,is this true?or are they just jerking off. :confused:

From what I have read, it advances the timing. There are some other threads here about the subject if you search on DUI or HEI.

toyman317 said:
Is there any difference between the "vacuum advance port" on the original carb and the port on my Holley that is halfway up the side of the carb? The port on the Holley has no vacuum at idle but gets stronger above idle.
That sounds like the ported vacuum fitting on the holley. Use it for a vac advance distributor.

If they are functionally the same , why do the DUI instructions (Performance Distributors) say it has to be a port on the side of the carb above the throttle body?
That's a good question: why would DUI make an ignorant comment when they are the experts? As a good capitalist, I fail to see the profit motive. :confused:

goldchaser said:
Thanks for the input fellas. jim or anyone else can you tell me what the hei dizzy vacum is actually for,I mean originally is it advance,retard or whatever,I"m hoping the original toyo one is the same,eg:both being advance,it would be alot easier for me to buy one allready converted in the states but I added up the costs and by the time I got it to oz it would cost alot of money,I have a local one sourced for $120 bucks,I can spin a few wrenches but ive never had much to do with distributors,im gonna change the gear over so its running the toyo gears,sounds as though alot of blokes have swapped them over themselves and been quite happy with the results,is this true?or are they just jerking off. :confused:
The HEI you're gonna find in the breakers is vacuum advance, same as the stock Toyota distributor. Your big improvement will be due to upgrading from points to an electronic ignition. I would recommend you install an aftermarket electonic ignition kit into the Toyota distributor. Don't know what kits are available on your side of the pond, but over here we have Pertronix, Allison, Crane... to name a few. That way you would have no distributor/engine block fitment issues and the distributor advance curves would be right for the engine.

I installed an HEI after my Dizzy crapped out. I Plugged the High altitude vac line and replaced the vac hose for the advance line. I am at 3400ft and have had no problems with advance or pinging. I routinely drive to 8kft with no problems. Not sure how a new stock dizzy would have been but once hte HEI went on and gapped the plugs out to 0.05 low end pull increased significantly.
Good LUck.

hei dizzy

Thanks jim,ive allready organized a chev one so when I get it i"ll give it a go first,if it looks like there may be problems with fitment in the block etc i"ll give it a miss and go with a aftermarket one,but what ive read is changing the gears over,then if thats done I cant see how you would have any problems,i"ll check all the measurments out etc before it goes in,fearnofish did you put an aftermarket one in or did it come straight out of a chev? I think we have one available down here from a mob called piranah,so i"ll get one of those if the chev one looks a bit dogy.

thanks fellas,regards dave.

ps:What has 4 legs and eats Aunts?

My two uncles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom