Heavy Oil ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is safe good weight oil to run in a 1HDT as the modern Moibil delvac MX I have been using does not agree with my engine ?
I know its probably been covered already just thought I d get a fresh perspective on this technical subject?? Thanks and (Great Forum) !!!

A question about what oil to use? :popcorn::beer: This could get good, let me pull up a chair...

I’ll start this off by recommending that you simply track down the original manual and stick to the recommended oil listed in the users/owner’s manual. Copies and links to copies are floating around the forum.

My 2h engine has a very wide variety of recommendations based on environmental operating temperatures which I found refreshing. For me this included some single weight and multi weight oils. If you stick with the manual recommendation and your engine barfs on one oil, try another till it stops barfing. If you want to tune this with more accuracy, please provide your audience with a basic guide of what your driving conditions are like, what environmental temperatures are like for you in your area, etc. (basic use case if you will)

<rant deleted, I've exceeded my quota for the month >

Last edited:
20-50 is the heaviest oil recommended for any landcruiser engine(that Im aware of)
But I have used 20-60 with no apparent side effects

Last edited:
Yes its a big bad question to ask LOL might as well run tractor oil in mine the way its going at the moment HA ha and thanks once again and as NED " said such is life !! " before he was hanged to death .....

Diesel Duty 15w-40 is a good start. You can go heavier in hot climates and of course a lighter oil for winter if you want.

Diesel Duty 15w-40 is a good start. You can go heavier in hot climates and of course a lighter oil for winter if you want.

Agreed. I'd add that it should have the JASO DH-1 certification. The oil that meets this certification has a higher calcium content which is required for this generation of Japanese diesel engines. I have confirmed that the following brands meet this certification: Delo 400, Castro Tection, and Shell Rotella T. I find the Castro Tection is an excellent hot weather oil - keeping the oil pressure up nicely - even at idle on a very hot day. On the flip side, in the winter, the cold pour point is much higher and the cold start-up pressure can be a bit alarming.

I change oil every 5000 kms so I have not even bothered looking at synthetic oils. Just too damn expensive.

I would like to have something like 15-50 in Diesel oils .. but sadly no so I use mobil 1 15-40 .. having good ( non educated like oil test ) results for me ..

I would like to have something like 15-50 in Diesel oils .. ..

Its odd they dont sell it in a warm place like Panama.
Here,they have at least 5-6 brands of 15-50 or 20-50 in synth ,semi synth or standard.
Toyota have their own brand of 20-50 available at the dealer.

I would like to have something like 15-50 in Diesel oils .. but sadly no so I use mobil 1 15-40 .. having good ( non educated like oil test ) results for me ..

Maybe a tractor dealership? I see the Kubota tractor dealer has their own Jaso DH-1 and DH-2 rated diesel dino oil in 15W40.

I'm currently running Valvoline 15-40 Diesel oil in mine. Seems fine so far with good oil pressure, hot or cold. It's winter in NZ at the moment. Temps range -5 to around 15 deg C and plenty of rain. No problems with cold starts on standard "quick glow" system.

Its odd they dont sell it in a warm place like Panama.
Here,they have at least 5-6 brands of 15-50 or 20-50 in synth ,semi synth or standard.
Toyota have their own brand of 20-50 available at the dealer.

I'm using

MOB_112786.jpg

right know .. and it seems to do it fine .. I change it pretty soon since I do a lot ( if not all ) of my driving in stop and go city traffic ..

When we have 34°C and 88% humidity out there .. damn you need good oil in your engine .. ( not saying this one it's the best nor the worse )

I use straight 30w just like in my manual for my temp range, Rotella makes it. I live in the desert; it never gets below freezing here. its 110F out right now whew!, that’s 43C i think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom