Heater Core Compatibility...stuck in driveway... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got to my heater core job today. Not too bad if you remove everything. Here I am ready to install my replacement core from SOR and one of the inlets is at an angle! Frustrating.

None of local parts shops have them, but I might have luck looking for another Toyota that shares that part. The pickup or others???

D69EC03C-DFD3-4411-8FAF-066200CAB560.jpeg

B5863E20-1975-4FE8-A17D-4F095B8AC5D7.jpeg

I see no one has replied here. I had a terrible time getting my heater core sorted. I never found a compatible part, and ended up using 2 cores to make a good one. Well, a local shop did.
Maybe you could find a shop to straighten it.
If you find a compatible part from another vehicle, do post that up. These have been NLA for a while now...

Quick update. I really wanted to just get this job done so I used some heat to bend the heater core ports into the correct position. I installed a tight fitting socket into the port so that I could put some force into it without distorting the metal. It's very soft. The heater core is installed now and there are no leaks so far.

To answer the above question, no, the angle was not bey design and it wasn't even close to working. Those o-ring seals are probably my least favorite piece of Toyota engineering and it leaves very little tolerance for misalignment. The heater core from SOR was pretty rough looking overall, but I'm guessing there's only one manufacturer making these anymore. I'm keeping my old one just I case it makes more sense to repair it down the road.

I didn't there were any new FJ60/2 heater cores being made by anyone. I agree that those copper tubes are about as bend resistant as overcooked gluten-free pasta.

I posted in his other thread - Only NEW 60-series replacement heater core currently available. Good quality. Made in Mexico. They won't be around forever. Clips and pipes are NLA but O-rings are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom