Heat riser plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wan't to put my stock exhaust manifold back on my '78 40. What heat riser plate do you all recommend, the stock Toyota or the aftermarket stainless steel one that is available? I would imagine the stainless steel plate, even though solid, will provide some type of heat to the intake, correct?

you referring to the heat shield between the heat riser flap and the bottom of the intake? I went OEM on mine...before I ditched the heat riser all together. yes, there will be some heat transfer even with a solid ss plate, just not as much

i have the SS from SOR. i live in the northeast. been running perfectly in all seasons thus far. the moving flap is still in there, but "stuck" in the open position as if it is always warm.

I just made my own. Simple to do. I don't have the photos with me at the moment, but I just made it by tracing a gasket on the steel and shaping it with a grinder. Easy peasy.

Common stainless has a slightly lower heat transfer coefficient than carbon steel or cast(26 BTU/lb/sqft, vs 31BTU/lb/sqft)- so SS will not conduct heat as readily as the OEM material(assuming it is made of steel)
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

the OEM material is also not solid, it has vents cut into it to accel heat transfer. then the flaps get stuck and not long after that, you crack your intake. the aftermarket solid plate is a better, long lasting design. yes, much slower at transfering heat, but i havent had an issue.

Spotcruiser, did you make it using regular steel or stainless? I don't see a problem using regular steel, of course it won't last as long but pretty long I would think.

It was just mild steel and it was pretty heavy, at least 12 gauge if not 1/8". I don't recall. I'd be able to tell if I had the photos, but they're about 3000 miles away. :( I wanted it to last and it will certainly outlast me.

Spotcruiser, did you make it using regular steel or stainless? I don't see a problem using regular steel, of course it won't last as long but pretty long I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom