Headliner Insulation ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Consult the upholster shop for the correct adhesive for the headliner. It makes all the difference.
I used carpet padding to insulate the roof. 3/8 IIRC. The adhesive for the padding was an industrial grade that wont release in the heat.
Here were my install pics.

IMG_4498.JPG
IMG_4499.JPG
IMG_4500.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good Cruiser Jimmy. Thanks for posting up the pics.

Local shop did the work after I took the original to them. It's white in color and the idea is to reflect more light inside the cab. With the LED ceiling light I achieved what I was wanting.

Consult the upholster shop for the correct adhesive for the headliner. It makes all the difference.
I used carpet padding to insulate the roof. 3/8 IIRC. The adhesive for the padding was an industrial grade that wont release in the heat.
Here were my install pics.

View attachment 1183548 View attachment 1183549 View attachment 1183550

On the rear cargo area, under the window and up the rear pillar, are you going to put the plastic trim back on or go with the exposed paint look?

Knoxville is a couple hours drive for me but how unusual is it too be able to get this done by any other shop ? I always prefer someone who has actually done one or more , whatever the work being done.

Lots of great replies. Fwiw , my Upholstry guy reverse engineered the factory headliner bow system and prior to fitment we ended up using two layers of jute. The heavier tar matt stuff might have stuck as well but I figured the extra weight (it's heavy sh%#) up high and the risk of coming unglued wasn't worth it.
I also used double door seals from WagonGear.

My FJ is almost Lexus quiet with wind noise greatly reduced verses the single OEM door seals. I have a Gamiviti rack and you hardly hear it at 70, let alone 50.

During my restore I used the following to quiet my rig:
-Jute x2 in roof (rain drops are muted)

-Cabin, Med pile carpet with 1 layer of jute

-Probably most important deadening technique-- I Tar matted every sq inch of floor / interior area. I double lined tunnel and rear cargo / wheel wells, as well as mat on inside door panels. This really helped with the tinny noises and the system sounds like a concert hall :)

-Double door seals. Kevin @ WagonGear.com
Love these seals. Only downside if your doors are sealed so well they don't just 'flop shut' like factory.

My Wife actually noticed how quiet the 60 is. So I know it's quiet. (Decibels at 65 are 74dba on smooth road. Phone app)
Ps: I'm running an H55 so that certainly helps. But even low speed around town, crappy roads the rig is.... [emoji347]

Hope this info helps.

Ps: yikes...sorry for the ramble....way more than your original headliner quiet question.

Sent from my iPhone

Lots of great replies. Fwiw , my Upholstry guy reverse engineered the factory headliner bow system and prior to fitment we ended up using two layers of jute. The heavier tar matt stuff might have stuck as well but I figured the extra weight (it's heavy sh%#) up high and the risk of coming unglued wasn't worth it.

My FJ is almost Lexus quiet with wind noise greatly reduced verses the single OEM door seals. I have a Gamiviti rack and you hardly hear it at 70, let alone 50.

-Probably most important deadening technique-- I Tar matted every sq inch of floor / interior area. I double lined tunnel and rear cargo / wheel wells, as well as mat on inside door panels. This really helped with the tinny noises and the system sounds like a concert hall :)

Love these seals. Only downside if your doors are sealed so well they don't just 'flop shut' like factory.

My Wife actually noticed how quiet the 60 is. So I know it's quiet. (Decibels at 65 are 74dba on smooth road. Phone app)
Ps: I'm running an H55 so that certainly helps. But even low speed around town, crappy roads the rig is.... [emoji347]

Hope this info helps.

Ps: yikes...sorry for the ramble....way more than your original headliner quiet question.

Sent from my iPhone

when you say "Tar matted" what exactly did you use?

Med pile carpet? was it a kit or something you cut yourself?

What "tunnel" area are you referring to?

Trans tunnel. The hump.

Sent from my iPad

Hope this info helps.

Sent from my iPhone

Great reply. Thanks for the comments. Thinking of single layer of jute on the roof before the headliner. Don't know about the floor yet. When I restored my VW, I used some stuff from Lowe's that roofers use. It's almost like Dynomat.

when you say "Tar matted" what exactly did you use?

Med pile carpet? was it a kit or something you cut yourself?

My Upholstry guy copied the original carpet a d we picked something close to OEM, but it was slightly heavier / thicker.

By tar matted I mean dyna mat. I used dyna mat as well as the roofing mat that you can get at lowes. Same stuff, minus the huge mark up. That being said I had about $250 in dyna mat from another project and blew all that on the FJ, plus another 4-5 rolls of the lowes stuff.

Sent from my iPad

Look up Quiet Crap. His "tar mat" product is excellent quality and much cheaper than any other similar product I looked into. Highly recommend it.

On the rear cargo area, under the window and up the rear pillar, are you going to put the plastic trim back on or go with the exposed paint look?

I didn't put the plastic back in for those two locations. I painted those areas the same color as the outside.

It would be awesome if all of us could get together and compare techniques? Moab???

@Hillhippy , if you're talking to me, come on up! Of coarse I have a cousin that lives right at the north end of the Tail of the Dragon that I could go down and visit. :)

Cruiser Jimmy said:
It would be awesome if all of us could get together and compare techniques? Moab???

@Hillhippy , if you're talking to me, come on up! Of coarse I have a cousin that lives right at the north end of the Tail of the Dragon that I could go down and visit. :)
The Dragon you say ? Maybe after a v8 swap..I just see a bunch of pissed off motorcycle and sports car drivers behind a parade of 60s "running the dragon"
It must happen.

The Dragon you say ? Maybe after a v8 swap..I just see a bunch of pissed off motorcycle and sports car drivers behind a parade of 60s "running the dragon"
It must happen.

I'm down for crusin the dragon. Been up on side and down the other all the way up the Cherohala Skyway.

How I would love that trip. Maybe 2016 summer bucket list... Not a short rumble for me from East coast. [emoji573][emoji463]

Sent from my iPad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom