Headlight Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired the 98 LC a couple of weeks ago and checked out the lighting. Not bad but could definitely use some improvement. I noticed it uses a 9006 bulb for the low beam. I remembered modifying the low beam light (9006) on my 96 Camry and it is the same bulb as the LC. It made a huge difference on the Camry so I thought it should do the same for the LC. I swapped the 9006 in the LC with the modded 9005 out of my Camry. Everything fit perfect on the harness and headlight socket. Took the LC for a test drive later that night and man what a difference with the 9005 bulbs. I recommend this mod to anyone that wants better nighttime lighting. I have never had anyone flash their highbeams at me in the Camry or the LC after doing this mod so it would be safe to say it does not bother oncoming drivers. Below is a cut paste from the Toyota Nation forum and how to modify the bulb to fit the harness and headlight socket. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out. I would be surprised if you don't like it!!

Hands down, Sylvania Silverstar 65W 9005's are the best, the brightest, the
longest lasting (I've had mine in for two years now) and the whitest.

Why I'm using a 9005 bulb: 9005 bulbs are 65W and are not capped at the end, 9006 bulbs are 55W and have a cap at the end. The light increase is from the increase in lumens from the 9005 bulb. A 9005 bulb has 70% more lumens than the 9006 (1700 lumens vs 1000 lumens). HID has
3200 lumens. You have to slightly modify the 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket.

Supplies
*File or chisel tools, Sharp knife, blade, soldering iron or Dremel like tool.
*2 x 9005 bulbs.
*Protective glasses and gloves (you don't want to lose a finger or an eye). :p

Procedure
1. Remove 3mm of plastic from the left of the center of top tab when the
socket is pointing down until you have 5-6mm of plastic left.

2. Remove the two guides inside the socket. Install 1 new O'ring from the
old 9006 bulb on the new modified 9005 bulb to ensure a tight fit.

3. Install the bulbs in your car and have your light adjusted if not
already.

3bulb.jpg

3bulb2.jpg

3bulb3.jpg

pics from - www.BMWE34.net

FYI -
It is also possible to modify the harness on the car... but I don't recommend
it. I've seen way too many afm harnesses melt or worse melt the fuse box. On the Gen3 (1992-1996) Toyota Camry both the high beam and low beam harnesses are designed to carry a max load of 65wats safely

Rob,

A lot of the forum members (100/80) have had good success with HIR bulbs, either from John Deere or IPF. I think the JH ones are made by Toshiba, either in Japan or China. You can acquire an upgrade harness from Slee Off Road and again most, if not all, the members who have purchased them seem to like them.

I've also heard good things about the Silverstars, too though. ;)

And thanks for the pics!

Mot

RNT: Great post and great pics: Thanks. I did this to my '99 using the John Deere lamps and it made a significant difference in the useful light.

I will also change out to JD bulbs. Did this on the 80 and will do the same with the 100. Never thought about the Slee but it also did help on the 80.

I just did this mod and Im very pleased with the light. I bought two 9005's for 8.00 ea. It was very easy and the fit with the two o rings is very tight. If it didnt work I was only out 16.00 and would have then bought the John Deer's. I would recommend this mod to anyone who likes to see at night!!!

Just Bought the Silverstars

They keep them behind the counter at VIP. ABout $10 apiece there- not the cheapest plaec, the closest though. Must be a hot item. I will install them tonight. Although I just thought I should have bought a second set for the high beams...and maybe the fogs as mentioned earlier. Best lights I have seen were on an older BMW, maybe they were Euro spec but they lit the road like a giant spot light, just unbelievable. I am not a fan of HID, had them on another vehicle, the light is whiter but they didnt seem brighter to me. Not sure why.

I like this solution. The JD bulbs are 28 each. It seems I can purchase six 9005s for $60. WIll the 9005s work for the high beams and the fogs also?

Thanks,

uzj100

uzj100 said:
I like this solution. The JD bulbs are 28 each. It seems I can purchase six 9005s for $60. WIll the 9005s work for the high beams and the fogs also?

Thanks,

uzj100

To me they would however the only problem Im having with my LC is the fog lights. The mounting system looks the same and the plug is the same. When I figure out why my fog lights dont work I will do this in them as well!

I've dealt with the first set (sold to an individual) but the fit'n finish is rather poor. Some of the holes to tighten upon installation do not line up properly.

I think the light is also not very good (at least on the low beam projector part).

Unless I'm planning on doing a projector xenon/HID grafting like hoser did I would not bother getting them. Not sure about the second pair though. Wondering if the low beams are for LHD or RHD (Didn't see the description too closely).

They're not too shabby-looking, are they?

Mot

URBAN STRIKE said:

So what’s the best bulb John Deer or Silverstar? Is the added O ring on the Silverstar necessary for a good fit or is it just to make it seal better?
Are the JD’s any different as how they mount (do they need the modification).
It sounds like the lumens are similar between the two. I seem to recall some talk about the JD bulbs being made by another company (and not as good?). So what should I look for or stay away from when making this decision on the JD bulbs?
If both bulbs are equal, than the Silverstars are going to be easier (& cheaper) to get.
Thanks,
DMX

FYI, the Silverstar bulbs they sell at the local Pep Boys/ Kragens labeled Sylvania Osram Silverstar is not the same as the European Osram Silverstar +50. The former is no brighter, just whiter but at the expense of longevity. The later is supposedly a great bulb but is not commonly found here. Need to order them overseas.

So you would lean towards the John Deer’s then?
(Maybe I should start a poll on who like what brand.)
I want something that fits tight and wont give problems later. I don’t mind doing mods to the lamp, I’m just a little unclear why the second O-ring was used. I read somewhere that one bulb was slightly smaller and don’t know it this is the case for the Silverstar unit.
DMX

Yes, between the John Deer HIR's and the Kragen bought Silverstars, I'd definitely go with the John Deers.

I put some Silverstars in my girlfriends Corolla, they lasted 3 months and burnt out. It was very disappointing, and given the price, not worth the money. Maybe it was just bad luck but both went within days of each other.

You can get Philips and Osram bulbs from powerbulbs.com in the UK. They ship worldwide. I got the Philips +50 and like it better than the US Silverstar. Simple lighting options are less with the LX470 because I have H1 bulbs instead of 9006.

cary said:
Everyone forgets there is a lighting faq that applies to 100's as well as 80's that will answer 90% of the above questions.

Everyone forgets that you're a lighting fag and that applies here as well. :flipoff2:

Mot ;p ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom