Headlight jiggle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My headlights (both sides) jiggle going over bumps or bad pavement. It’s not the housing, it may be the projector inside the housing. Not sure.

I’m driving at night more these days, and it’s driving me crazy. Does anyone else have this problem? Or more importantly, know how to fix it?

No, neither for my former 13 nor my current 16. Sounds like something loose inside. Have they possibly been adjusted past the ends of a threaded adjuster?

My 13 LC does this. It is both sides which has led me to believe it is just a quirk in the design and nothing wrong.. even though yes it is quite annoying for such an otherwise well-designed vehicle.

My ‘15 does it on both sides. It was hard to confirm at first (I thought it was a bad bulb), but once you realize it’s a jiggle, it cannot be unseen.

Last edited:
My 2013 Land Cruiser does this as well. Really only when hitting large bumps, railroad tracks, etc. It is annoying. I’ve seen enough comments from other owners of 2013+ to think this is normal. Maybe only those of us with HID headlights? Does anyone with stock LED or older stock halogen headlights have this same issue?

My 2013 Land Cruiser does this as well. Really only when hitting large bumps, railroad tracks, etc. It is annoying. I’ve seen enough comments from other owners of 2013+ to think this is normal. Maybe only those of us with HID headlights? Does anyone with stock LED or older stock halogen headlights have this same issue?
It could be the extra mass of the projector lens compared to the reflector. Also possible the early halogens have such vague beam cutoff they are jiggling as well but no one can tell..

It wouldn’t surprise me if the 16+LEDs are rock solid considering how low-mass the light emitting and beam shaping components are.

Last edited:
It's normal. Or at least some vibration going over bumps is normal. IIRC I read it's because of the motor that can adjust the headlight angle.

It's normal. Or at least some vibration going over bumps is normal. IIRC I read it's because of the motor that can adjust the headlight angle.
This. I was going to ask if everyone affected has AFS

This. I was going to ask if everyone affected has AFS
I don’t think cruisers can turn the beams side to side, only up and down via the dial. Not sure if that is considered AFS..

I don’t think cruisers can turn the beams side to side, only up and down via the dial. Not sure if that is considered AFS..
Ah, didn’t realize that. I don’t have an up/ down dial. AFS is where the beams turn towards the side you’re turning to.

I should turn off AFS and see if jiggle persists…

Ah, didn’t realize that. I don’t have an up/ down dial. AFS is where the beams turn towards the side you’re turning to.

I should turn off AFS and see if jiggle persists…
Yeah I believe the LX assumes the vehicle level is correct due to AHC, so no need to adjust aim up/down.

Interesting that both the LX and LC jiggle, in spite of what seem to be functionally different beam aim systems.

Jiggle persists with AFS Off.

My 2013 cruiser has done this since I bought it used with 60k miles. It was getting annoying enough that I had the local dealer take a look. They said the headlight assembly needed replaced since the "motors that control auto leveling are failing". Their quote was 2k to replace them. I was thinking of buying OEM headlight assemblies and doing it myself for $1,200. There are a few YouTube videos out there and I think basically the bumper and grill needs removed. Anyone replaced their headlight assemblies to fix the issue?

My 2013 cruiser has done this since I bought it used with 60k miles. It was getting annoying enough that I had the local dealer take a look. They said the headlight assembly needed replaced since the "motors that control auto leveling are failing". Their quote was 2k to replace them. I was thinking of buying OEM headlight assemblies and doing it myself for $1,200. There are a few YouTube videos out there and I think basically the bumper and grill needs removed. Anyone replaced their headlight assemblies to fix the issue?

The 2013 LC200 does not have auto levelling - at least mine doesn't. Should give you a clue about the validity of your local dealer...

And yes, my low beams jiggle going over bumps. Seems to be normal.

HTH

I think there is a small motor inside the low beams since I can adjust the height of the beam dynamically from the inside of my cruiser. It is called the "manual headlight leveling" button inside the vehicle. I wonder if the motors has some play allowing the HID to move inside the housing?

See: Toyota Land Cruiser: Headlight switch - Operating the lights and wipers - When driving - https://www.tlacruiser.com/headlight_switch-43.html

That's what mine has, and the low beams wiggle when going over bumps since purchased new.

I think it's a function of HID. 2013-2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom