Headlight conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ight a thought hit me the other day. We all know that a fj's headlights Arnt the best or brightest. So I was wondering. Has anyone tried taking a Mercedes g550 headlights and mount them onto their fj60? Wondering if it could be done or not. Tell me what yall think on it.

Sent from my HTC One using IH8MUD Forum mobile app

Hmmmm.... Why? Replacing the sealed beams with E-code H4s and a IPF or SLCFJ62s harness upgrade (or make your own) is plenty of great light, particularly if you use high-output H4 bulbs.

Just a thought. I mean they are quality made products. With a bright display, And a clear look. I was just thinking if it's possible

The problem is not the lights themselves but rather the anemic wiring. The IPF or SLCFJ62s will upgrade that wiring and make it dedicated for the lights.

I got these units, with high-wattage bulbs from the same site.

I believe they're DOT approved only as motorcycle headlight though, but has a very good output and cut-off.

YMMV.

Good luck!!

Be careful of '100 watt' lights, as they draw more current than the stock wires can handle.

There's a fun trick you can use (dunno if the abovementioned relay kits do this or not)
but the supply to the headlight washer pump is a direct tap off of the white 'alt'
wire. And it is VERY stout.
So if you use that for a headlight circuit, appropriately breakered, you'll get very low
voltage drop...

fwiw.

t

I did pick up the ARB/IPF harness from Kurt, but have not installed them yet (I did make an attempt to make sure that things did not get too hot after installing them the lights and the bulbs).

It has been close to 10 months, and granted, I do not drive it everyday (a few times a week) it has not given me any problems.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting that anyone run the high-wattage bulbs without proper wiring upgrades, for both safety and to get the most out of your electricity!

The problem is not the lights themselves but rather the anemic wiring. The IPF or SLCFJ62s will upgrade that wiring and make it dedicated for the lights.

Ight so what your saying its not the ability for them to fit that's the problem, but the power and wiring needed is. So it needs to be converted to be accessed.

Right. Basically the wiring starting out on a new cruiser was not up to snuff for our high output demands of today, let alone after about 25+yrs of corrosion and usage. Invest in one of the IPF or SLCFJ62s wiring harnesses and you should be able to see the difference. Don't get me wrong though, a better quality sealed enclosure or an upgrade to the H4 like many have done with the Cibie, RoundEyes, Rampage, etc will increase the light output but not quite as well as doing both.

I got these units, with high-wattage bulbs from the same site.

I believe they're DOT approved only as motorcycle headlight though, but has a very good output and cut-off.

YMMV.

Good luck!!
I do have thoses also without high output bulbs as I did not upgrade my harness and it's better light output than stock .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom