Headlight buzzer ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I prefer to drive with headlights on all the time. It gives the idiots on the road something shiny to notice and not pull out in front of me. My past toyota experiences tell me that when I turn the car off, I should either hear a buzz that the lights are on, or the lights will turn off with the key. Mine does neither. Does the 92 FJ have either feature? I haven't dropped the dash to check the wiring, but something doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Gracias,
Todd

It is probably different for the FJ80 but FWIW my 97's head lights shut off with the key.

EDIT: Brain fart, I meant to say when I open the door after the key is turned off.

Last edited:
radioguy said:
I prefer to drive with headlights on all the time. It gives the idiots on the road something shiny to notice and not pull out in front of me. My past toyota experiences tell me that when I turn the car off, I should either hear a buzz that the lights are on, or the lights will turn off with the key. Mine does neither. Does the 92 FJ have either feature? I haven't dropped the dash to check the wiring, but something doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Gracias,
Todd

I'm pretty sure your '92 doesn't have either of those features. I think I know a link from another site telling how to easily re-wire a couple things so the "driver door open & key in ignition" beeper beeps when the headlights are left on; I'll edit it in if I can find it.

Edit: Here ya go...

(WARNING: See update in post #8!)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/files/Wayne's folder/Headlight warning buzzer/

I think you'll need to join our 3FE group to open it, but that's a good thing. :)

Curtis
91FJ80

Last edited:
radioguy said:

Gracias,
Todd

My 91 did not have a warning buzzer.

my 92 has one . Its sounds just like a phone ringing.
Its my wife calling saying she "left the lights on and now needs a jump start":doh:

Koffer said:
my 92 has one . Its sounds just like a phone ringing.
Its my wife calling saying she "left the lights on and now needs a jump start":doh:
Yeah...used to get that on a quarterly basis, so we bought a jumper battery pack from Wal-Mart.

Our 92 does not have the auto-off or the buzzer for the headlights.

Update (read from the bottom up):

RE: [3FE] Headlight buzzer mod: Attn Wayne!

Morning Curtis,

Judging from my '91 wiring diagram (courtesy of JH) I'd say no, not
without some modifications.

First, when you cut the unlock warning switch wire, it's the
green-white wire going to pin 7 of the "seat belt warning relay".

Then when you solder in the diodes, solder their NON-banded ends
together and tie this connection to the relay. One of the banded
diode ends then goes to the unlock warning switch wire.

The other banded diode end goes not to the taillight circuit itself
but to the red-blue wire that controls the taillight relay (pin 1 on
the relay).

I THINK this should work. If your guinea pig is successful let us
know!

Wayne

---- Original Message ----
To: 3FE@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [3FE] Headlight buzzer mod: Attn Wayne!
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 04:32:11 -0000

>
>Hey Wayne,
>
>Do you know offhand if your buzzer mod works on a 91-92?
>
>Cuz I just recommended it to someone on MUD. :D
>
>Curtis
>
>
>
>

You can also buy a ~$5 dealio at walmart that you just plug into the headlight fuse on your fusebox, it buzzes if the lights are on and the ignition is off. I bought one for my Scrambler I had a few years ago.

I just completed this and it worked perfectly in my '91, one hour of labor and 99 cents of parts (a pack of two 1n4004 diodes from Radio Shack) - best mod for under $1! Thanks Wayne from Yahoo 3FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom