Headlamp adjustment necessary with lift/larger tires?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm tentatively looking at an OME 851/860 kit -- and 305/70R16s in the not-too-distant future --

-- for this, there will be around a 3" total lift.

How are the headlamps re-aligned to focus on the road after such an upgrade??

THANKS!!

eric

with the little screws that adjust vertical and horizontal....

They even have a level in em! =)

Just peek in there, find a big white wall...and adjust to taste.

if you don't change the rake of the vehicle, headlight adjustment is likely not necessary. (you are raising both ends equal amounts, so headlamps will point at relatively the same spot)

the wall theory works great...would be worth measureing before and after so you see if you really need to adjust or not.

souds good -- i'll tack up paper on the wall where the lights hit and then re-adjust them to that point after --

THANKS!!

eric

Eric,
No worries. You'll likely be a tad more butthigh anyway. Don't worry, anything that needs adjusting we'll fix with the BFH. :flipoff2: :D

haha, Junk -- okay, and no puppers this time --

-- I'm driving to Missouri on Friday to place this pup -- what a F-load of driving -- SOLO!!

eric (got coke?)

Eric, I can't help but notice the dog's attire.

Do you have a young daugther in the house that is to blame?

haha, ghost -- here's the rest of the story ---

Pet Name: Chico
Birth Date: August, 2002
Sex: Male, neutered
Size: Small (30 lbs.)
Breed: Pit Bull Mix
Telephone: (314) 306-MUTT (6888)
Photos: http://www.muttsandstuff.com/chico.htm
More photos: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=s2ntlvj.94ob7a9j&x=0&y=veoe6z

Chico is a survivor. To start, back in April 2003, he was just another pit bull mix puppy in a Long Island shelter scheduled for death by injection. He was miraculously rescued on his euthanasia date; however, he accidentally got away from his rescuer and was run over by a truck that same day. Still, Chico survived! His accident has left him partially paralyzed from the waist-down and he now uses a wheelchair to get around town. Chico’s rescuer decided in August 2003 that a new baby in the house left him too little time for Chico, so he scheduled a euthanasia date for him. Again, miracles do happen, and Chico was rescued from this situation and transported to Central Missouri, where he is now a foster at Mutts and Stuff Animal Rescue.

Chico is extremely friendly, very healthy and a very happy boy! He is very handsome, with a dark brindle body, a white head, and sparkling eyes! He doesn’t let his disability affect his attitude one bit and his positive outlook is a breath of fresh air in an oftentimes pessimistic world! When outdoors, he saddles up in his wheelchair and can run with the big dogs. When inside, he gets around the house easily either in or out of his wheelie. He has a very strong upper body and pulls him self around (quite quickly!) when not in his wheelchair. Chico has recently shown signs of control in his rear legs and tail. Just yesterday, he lifted his rear right leg over a horizontal leash and wagged his tail a bit! Chico is presently incontinent, a trait that can be easily handled with doggie diapers and patience.

Chico has had a hectic first year of life. He is great with other dogs (larger and smaller), plus he has been socialized and does great with people (adults and children). All this little man wants is loving, patient owners and a forever home. Transport throughout the US is available. Chico could easily be used as a therapy dog with shut-ins or people with disabilities. He thinks everybody loves him, and he loves everyone. We’re praying that he is right!

Pretty tough mutt! I just read another story of a dog that actually walked out of the gas camber when the vet opened the door and they didn't have the heart to send him back in so they were trying to place him also.

Eric,

Thanks, I'll just rip my heart out and walk all over it now. :'(

You might need to adjust your brake proportioning valve, but I wouldn't know 'cause mine are still wimpy stock.

[quote author=Scott Miller link=board=2;threadid=4712;start=msg35782#msg35782 date=1062038077]
You might need to adjust your brake proportioning valve, but I wouldn't know 'cause mine are still wimpy stock.
[/quote]

Scott - thought you removed the stock bracket and fabbed up a longer one, no? Was fixin to do that next week as mine is maxed out. If you did, pics please?

Actually, putting a mark on the wall before a lift, then re-aiming the lights at the same spot will get you........what? Remember geometry? Well, it will get you headlights that point at the same spot, but farther down the road the lights will be hitting the pavement closer to the truck.

Anyhow, I find the levels are not the best way to aim the lights as they are not exact. Personally, I've gotten the best results aiming the lights on 3 80s by using a wall and then the first few times the vehicle is driven at night, noting whether you hit your preference and fine tuning accordingly. The FIRST thing you should to when contemplating adjusting them is to fire a plastic-friendly penetrating lube into all the gears, shafts and such in the adjusters. They tend to sieze after years of sitting and can break upon use.

DougM

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4712;start=msg35818#msg35818 date=1062043234]
Scott - thought you removed the stock bracket and fabbed up a longer one, no?
[/quote]
No, I'm still a happy belly-dragger so I don't have to worry about that stuff. I considered it when I was towing a lot with air bags. Bending it seems to have worked for some, fabbing a new one looks simple too.

The level bubble is way off after my lift, they have some screws right in the center of the headlamp, if you turn clockwise they will go up, if you turn counterclockwise they will go down, how about if you turn and they do not adjust, could it be something wrong with the screw?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh! when I replaced my suspension I had worn out rear shocks and springs from towin regularly!

Last edited:
The level bubble is way off after my lift, they have some screws right in the center of the headlamp, if you turn clockwise they will go up, if you turn counterclockwise they will go down, how about if you turn and they do not adjust, could it be something wrong with the screw?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I took care of the headlamp adjustment , they have a small box adjustment that in time the scew will not turn, so I had to remove the headlamps and turn manually the adjustment, it was a simple adjustment and it took me 1.5 hourst to do, both headlamps.....easy!

You need to remove the headlamps to be able to acces the adjustment box~:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom