Header Sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
This is probably a dumb question, but Oh well!

i just purchased some Summit block hugger headers and am going to get them painted and such tonight. I live in AZ so not too worried about the paint burning off. I'm going to clean them up with Acetone, heat them up to about 250 in the oven and then do a light coat of BBQ black.

The question is there anything I can do to ensure a good seal, like a gasket sealant or something. Has anybody used the Permatex copper high temp stuff? Or should I just torque the suckers down and cross my fingers they don't leak?

Azrocks said:
The question is there anything I can do to ensure a good seal, like a gasket sealant or something. Has anybody used the Permatex copper high temp stuff?

When I install headers on the Toyota F and 2F engines, I use a quality gasket and high-temp sealant on both sides of the gasket, and torque the manifold fasteners to spec. I then get the engine and exhaust system warm, and re-torque the mainfold fasteners. I then run it down the road, and repeat. I recheck the manifold fasteners until they no longer move.

Seems to work well for me.

Good luck!

-Steve

I just rememberd that I installed block huggers on a 4.3 in an 84 Toyota pick up I used to have....and did the same thing with them, and it worked great.

:beer:

I have the same headers on my FJ60. Just double check them when hot and you should be fine. I just used a standard gasket with mine.

I have found that changing the plugs on the corner cyclinders is a real PITA with these headers. There is one I can't even get a socket on without loosening the header. I just ordered an extra deep offset box wrench. Hoping that works better. Other than that no complaints.

Corbet said:
II have found that changing the plugs on the corner cyclinders is a real PITA with these headers. There is one I can't even get a socket on without loosening the header.

See your Snap-On dealer....

They have a small socket piece that will fit over the plug, and allow the top of the plug to pass through it, and then you can get on it with a wrench....it is only 8.00us or so...

Nifty little deal.

Good luck!

-Steve

My buddy who builds performance motors for custom boats likes to soak header gaskets in water for a few hours and then put them in and torque them to spec. He probably gets leaks on about one in fifty that way, usually there is a problem with the flange on the header that needs addressed in those cases. He also reuses a lot of header gaskets when they are still newer and look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom