HDJ81 too much boost? blew the dipstick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don’t have to do anything to the solenoid itself. Just unplug the grey wire connector down on the side of the pump. In your case, it may be a greasy black connector due to its proximity to the dipstick ;)
Thanks,
I look forward to a nice shade of 15w40 on my arms.

Update: thanks to everyone for the advice. (Toyota Diesels FTW):grinpimp:
480-500 across the cylinders without adding oil, which was way better than I thought it would ever do with 327k km on the clock.
I don't know if doing it through the glow plugs was the easiest. especially with my sausage fingers trying to grab these tiny bolts:rolleyes:

Anyways, I will keep hunting as to why it doesn't like 20psi.
Any recommendations for PCV tanks or catch cans?

Also, I would love to hear other ideas about what it could be because I didn't think my catch can was that restrictive it has a 3/4 inch inlet and outlet.
:worms:

Last edited:
You've probably already done this, but do a thorough visual inspection of the PCV system, making sure there aren't any kinked hoses or other restrictions. I had my dipstick blow out a couple of years ago due to a kinked hose; funny thing was it took quite a while after I changed something in the PCV system for it to finally blow. Was there any way the catch can got full or plugged?

Update: thanks to everyone for the advice. (Toyota Diesels FTW):grinpimp:
480-500 across the cylinders without adding oil, which was way better than I thought it would ever do with 327k km on the clock.
I don't know if doing it through the glow plugs was the easiest. especially with my sausage fingers trying to grab these tiny bolts:rolleyes:

Anyways, I will keep hunting as to why it doesn't like 20psi.
Any recommendations for PCV tanks or catch cans?

Also, I would love to hear other ideas about what it could be because I didn't think my catch can was that restrictive it has a 3/4 inch inlet and outlet.
:worms:

If you are going recirculating then you dont really need much, its essentially a filter and I feel like you can go pretty cheap. But A lot of people are liking the "Flash Lube" for this motor(yes thats the name) its everything the provent was supposed to be.

If you are venting you have to make sure its properly baffled or routed to your frame rails so you dont get your engine bay covered with a film of oil.

You've probably already done this, but do a thorough visual inspection of the PCV system, making sure there aren't any kinked hoses or other restrictions. I had my dipstick blow out a couple of years ago due to a kinked hose; funny thing was it took quite a while after I changed something in the PCV system for it to finally blow. Was there any way the catch can got full or plugged?

Ya I checked the can and the lines it seemed to be fine, but I replaced them with a 3/4 inch hose till I get a new catch can setup.

If you are going recirculating then you dont really need much, its essentially a filter and I feel like you can go pretty cheap. But A lot of people are liking the "Flash Lube" for this motor(yes thats the name) its everything the provent was supposed to be.

If you are venting you have to make sure its properly baffled or routed to your frame rails so you dont get your engine bay covered with a film of oil.

I thought the system needed the suction from the turbo to get rid of the gasses from the head?
I would prefer to run a vent tube past the frame like 5.9 Cummins.

I thought the system needed the suction from the turbo to get rid of the gasses from the head?
I would prefer to run a vent tube past the frame like 5.9 Cummins.

Theres a catch can thread in this diesel forum thats pretty current, maybe just a few pages back. It seems like general consensus is to vent from people who have done both, I like vented more personally and I dont know if its just my motor but it has no issue releasing excess gasses from the head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom