HDJ80 Fuel Hard Line Help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I find myself in need of a fuel hard line (tank to filter) for my HDJ80. I'm in the US and tracking down anything has proved troublesome. I can get a new fuel line from Japan (~$200) but the shipping is prohibitive at $340. I figured I would just bend my own, but I'm finding that Steel Olive line doesn't come larger than 5/16". HDJ fuel line is 12mm. I believe the US spec gasoline line is 10mm. I definitely don't want to choke the pump (running G-Turbo pump & turbo kit).

So far all I have found in 1/2" in the US is stainless tube. Which I'm told would brutally hard to bend. And is un-shippable in lengths long enough to bend correctly (~9-10ft).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find raw line? Or other ideas? Anyone in the US have a stock HDJ80 fuel line they'd like to let go of?

Hi,

some Aussies just run the rubber which some of them argue is not the best option. You really want to have 12 mm not only for starvation but for the cooling of the IP. I am using the FZ feed line as return line as the one from HDJ was not in good shape.

Also lot of guys in Aussie do the lines from stainless steel and bend them themself, you will definitely have to go stainless and 12mm OD Hardline - Hardline & Fittings - https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/hardline-fittings/hardline

There is also tubeworx who does the new lines in Brisbane for the 105 which has the same chasis, the lines are stainless steel and cost around 800 australian dollars.

I would use this 12mm stainless braided fuel hose. Suitable for all fuels. Its about $15US a metre. You can come back and fit the proper steel tube when you locate some.

1610406159686.png

I would use this 12mm stainless braided fuel hose. Suitable for all fuels. Its about $15US a metre. You can come back and fit the proper steel tube when you locate some.

View attachment 2550650
Putting fuel lines is major headache, almost everybody who has done it complains. Once the engine with trans are in its place it will be difficult to put the lines. I struggled , I would suggest do it once

I'd prefer not to do soft lines, but I have looked into 10AN braided stainless stuff. I didn't expect this to be a stumbling block on a large build. lol.

I'm looking into the Aussie SS hardline. The only SS hard lines in the US I've found would be impossible to roll up and is shipped straight, so I'm curious they do it.

Just get the aeroflow stainless steel tube and get the tube straightener which doesn't cost too much. As I said reuse the fz tube as return so you would have to do just one.

Has anyone used aluminum line for fuel? That seems to be more available.

I like the stainless line but straightening and re-bending is a bitch. I guess it would be with the aluminum as well, just for different reasons.

Use the smaller fuel line from a petrol model, but instead of going directly to the filter add a surge tank. Use a small pusher pump from the main tank to the surge tank (which you install in the engine bay) and then you simply use the injection pump to suck fuel from the surge tank. After it’s gone through the injection pump return the fuel into the surge tank...

Not sure what 12v pusher pumps are available in the US, but should be less than $100... and it’ll easily supply enough fuel to the surge tank. (If the surge tank is ~1-2 litres in size I very much doubt you’ll use all that in one hit...

The biggest issue with the smaller lines is when you’re solely trying to suck fuel through (it’s much harder to suck compared to pushing fuel through a line).

I really prefer to lean towards simplification anywhere I can. I debated a Walbro lift pump as a helper, but with a newly rebuilt injection pump it seems like added expense and complexity.

Anyone have any thoughts on aluminum for diesel line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom