HDJ55 Topmount intercooler without hood scoop ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,I dropped in a 1HDT in my 71 fj55,and I’m going to take my intercooled Gturbo hdj81 off the road to do sone bodywork this summer,so going to use the hdj55 to do some towing,boat and small trailer,I know without intercooler,the egr will be high,so I’m going to fit a top mount intercooler and I don’t want to cut the hood and install a hood scope,and front mount is not a choice either without cutting into the structural frame of the front bib,I’m going to build a box under the intercooker and direct air to the intercooler using a 2.5” tube from the side vent of the left fender,what are your thoughts?

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

I’ll replace the air vent with a scoop

IMG_4358.jpeg

I like your idea of not using a hood scope and find your approach quite interesting. The question is how much air is actually coming through that hose. That would probably depend on the pressure situation on the "hot" side of the intercooler. Hot air could go the wrong way and exit at your side grille....
I'm playing with the idea of a scoopless top mount myself - so far I'm thinking of using air from the front, maybe from the whole width just underneath the hood edge. I once saw that on a Peugeot 505 TD with a factory top mount. The whole scoop / air duct is neatly mounted under the hood and lifts with it. Of course mines a 60 so totally different basis to the peugot or 55.
Very interested how you are getting on - especially if you later install some temporary temp probes to monitor the effect.

Interesting idea.

Does it leave enough room to hook up to your intake manifold? Where are you going to hook in to it?
i took the HDT crossover pipe off,using a 1HZ pipe,i will have to shorten it a bit,will show pics when i get to it

I like your idea of not using a hood scope and find your approach quite interesting. The question is how much air is actually coming through that hose. That would probably depend on the pressure situation on the "hot" side of the intercooler. Hot air could go the wrong way and exit at your side grille....
I'm playing with the idea of a scoopless top mount myself - so far I'm thinking of using air from the front, maybe from the whole width just underneath the hood edge. I once saw that on a Peugeot 505 TD with a factory top mount. The whole scoop / air duct is neatly mounted under the hood and lifts with it. Of course mines a 60 so totally different basis to the peugot or 55.
Very interested how you are getting on - especially if you later install some temporary temp probes to monitor the effect.
if you can find a 99 KZJ90,thake a look at how they channel air from the front of the hood to the top of the intercooler,pretty neat....

Honestly, why not just water to air intercooler? Top mount air/air intercoolers aren’t that great WITH a scoop, can’t see that approaching being particularly great. Whereas water/air can work extremely well…

Honestly, why not just water to air intercooler? Top mount air/air intercoolers aren’t that great WITH a scoop, can’t see that approaching being particularly great. Whereas water/air can work extremely well…

You still need a heat exchanger at the front.

If there's no room, may not help.

Interesting idea but I think you need a far bigger duct than the 2.5" pipe. Either that or you need a decent fan pushing air through it.

If you're running a stock tune you don't need an intercooler. It's perfectly safe to run at max load towing. That's what Toyota built them for.

You still need a heat exchanger at the front.

If there's no room, may not help.
Granted, but you don’t need to have some massive thick radiator to exchange heat… I’m actually using a very skinny a/c core for a heat exchanger and it works really well.

I know it may be tight but I’d still be investigating how much room there actually is at the front.

Hi I’ve installed a few top mount on hdj81 with scoop and it lowers the egr by 200 to 300 F which helps a lot when towing esp thru the Rocky Mountains

Hi i dont want the complications of water to air

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom