HDJ-81 Filter Pricing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is what I paid for filters to do basic maintenance on My HDJ-81. Filters are cheap but shipping (via Fedex airfreight from Dubai) seems a bit outrageous. What are others on here paying for this stuff? Are there locally available substitutes?
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 1.46.18 PM.jpg

You can go to your local Toyota dealer and get whatever you need. Or any US based online Toyota dealership site.

90915-30002
23303-64010
17801-61030 or 17801-68020

You can go to your local Toyota dealer and get whatever you need. Or any US based online Toyota dealership site.

90915-30002
23303-64010
17801-61030 or 17801-68020
Unfortunately OEM filters cost 10x as much.

Dude. Where are you buying your parts?

A oil filter online is $20
A fuel filter is $25
A air filter is $23

I would like the air filter for my HDJ100 to be as affordable (in North America) 🙄

Personally I wouldn't trust a $5.50 oil filter on an engine that would cost $8k+ to replace or a $2.50 fuel filter on a $2500+ injection system. When you think about what they're protecting the price of OEM filters doesn't seem too bad.

Personally I wouldn't trust a $5.50 oil filter on an engine that would cost $8k+ to replace or a $2.50 fuel filter on a $2500+ injection system. When you think about what they're protecting the price of OEM filters doesn't seem too bad.
Agreed.

This is not rocket science.

If it's any consolation, Trade price at my local dealer for an oil filter to suit a 1HDT is $42.
(90915-30002)
I ran an aftermarket filter for a few thousand km but noticed she built oil pressure noticeably faster with the genuine filter, for the sake of an engine that costs at least 10k to properly rebuild, it's not worth the risk

Dude. Where are you buying your parts?

A oil filter online is $20
A fuel filter is $25
A air filter is $23

Canada...OEM filters are at least $50 here. Shipping parts from US to Canada has never been cheap, but it seems to have gone up a lot as well.

@MUDZLLA I'm with everyone else here. For our location, it costs us more for parts for these trucks, but sometimes it just makes sense to pay the extra for the proper part. Last air filter I used with the factory air box was a Baldwin one which seemed to be fine, but it was still about $15 or so. I think they are about $20 now. The proper 30002 filters I've been buying from US sources and just ponying up the extra for the shipping. I'm lucky that I'm close to the border, so usually I can just get it shipped there, but for the past two years I've had to just pay the extra shipping to Canada.

Nobody knows if a $5 filter is as good as a $50 filter. The Fram you buy for your car is the same as the no-name from Costco. It's all the same knock-off from China. Filter paper is filter paper. That's my opinion.

I do welcome all the great comments and thank everyone for expressing their opinions. If my engine packs it in in 20 or 30K I'll let you know!

Yes they do.

In fact, @MUDZLLA doesn't necessarily have to be completely wrong. I mean, it is obvious to believe that the OEM is the best filter for a given vehicle since it is made by the manufacturer for the vehicle that it builds itself. But the fact remains that it is often a question of trust in a brand. It is not acquired that a cheaper filter is "bad" or "worse". Maybe the condition of manufacture and the volume allows a more advantageous price.

People infer that a filter is better on the basis of price, reputation or brand. Otherwise, it relies on internet research which is not necessarily scientific and reliable. Or, quite simply believe the words of other members here present on MUD and you know what, this also infer on a choice based on the confidence, confidence in the reputation of the member according to what ? ... their number of post?

Does my testimony based on the fact that I have done hundreds of air, oil or fuel filters changes using Wix filters without any problem give me as much credibility as one who has never had a problem with OEM or FRAM? Still ... do you know what? I use WIX according to my research on the internets!

Moreover, often, the success or misfortune of members of a forum can simply be based on anecdotal facts.

All that said, I KNOW that there is credible information available on the internet and several MUD members are trustable. I know there are people who have done serious tests with controlled parameters that give reliable results. I also believe that an OEM filter is a no-brainer for any vehicle / manufacturer.

My point is that a cheaper filter is not necessarily worse. Possibly worse, but not necessarily.

In fact, @MUDZLLA doesn't necessarily have to be completely wrong. I mean, it is obvious to believe that the OEM is the best filter for a given vehicle since it is made by the manufacturer for the vehicle that it builds itself. But the fact remains that it is often a question of trust in a brand. It is not acquired that a cheaper filter is "bad" or "worse". Maybe the condition of manufacture and the volume allows a more advantageous price.

People infer that a filter is better on the basis of price, reputation or brand. Otherwise, it relies on internet research which is not necessarily scientific and reliable. Or, quite simply believe the words of other members here present on MUD and you know what, this also infer on a choice based on the confidence, confidence in the reputation of the member according to what ? ... their number of post?

Does my testimony based on the fact that I have done hundreds of air, oil or fuel filters changes using Wix filters without any problem give me as much credibility as one who has never had a problem with OEM or FRAM? Still ... do you know what? I use WIX according to my research on the internets!

Moreover, often, the success or misfortune of members of a forum can simply be based on anecdotal facts.

All that said, I KNOW that there is credible information available on the internet and several MUD members are trustable. I know there are people who have done serious tests with controlled parameters that give reliable results. I also believe that an OEM filter is a no-brainer for any vehicle / manufacturer.

My point is that a cheaper filter is not necessarily worse. Possibly worse, but not necessarily.

In fact, my statement of "Construction, filtration and oil pressure allowance can vary greatly" is still hold true.
Not all paper filters perform the same.
Anyone truly interested in the subject should seek their own, unbiased, research.

In fact, my statement of "Construction, filtration and oil pressure allowance can vary greatly" is still hold true.
Not all paper filters perform the same.
Anyone truly interested in the subject should seek their own, unbiased, research.

Absolutely, absolutely! I went with a "greater" impetus than a simple filter question. I also didn't object to your assertion and I didn't imply that you were wrong either. ;) 👊🏻

There are good quality aftermarket filters out there. Ive used Ryco, Donaldson and a few others. My 1hz's always got instant oil pressure. Denso have factories all over the world, so there is no guarantee its made in Japan, and there in no guarantee it was made by Denso.
The only time on the diesel forum that someone destroyed an engine from an oil filter that I can remember, was when a Canadian HJ61 owner took his LC to a quickie oil change place who used the wrong filter. The pressure was so bad it blew the filter up like a balloon and cut off the oil supply and destroyed the engine after 10klms.
I think the manual calls for the filter to be changed every 2nd oil change, but pretty much everyone here changes it every oil change, so theoretically, filters are being discarded half way through its life.
And its a bit hard to say how good or bad a filter is without cutting it in half and comparing it.

And its a bit hard to say how good or bad a filter is without cutting it in half and comparing it.

There are MANY articles/videos of folks doing just this as well as testing particulate flow-through, construction and oil PSI.
Like I said, if anyone is interested, do your research.
I'm not an expert. On vehicles I've owned that I care about (VWs/BMWs/Toyotas), I use OEM/OE/Mann filters.
On crapwagons, I use whatever is on the shelf.

There are MANY articles/videos of folks doing just this as well as testing particulate flow-through, construction and oil PSI
Glad you agree with me, you cant tell without destructive testing. I dont think Ive seen one for Landcruiser's though. The other problem is nearly all filters are contracted out to large factories which make many different filters, how much filtration and the quality of the material can vary from factory to factory, so you never really know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom